Thread: Depression and anxiety simultaneously?

Depression and anxiety simultaneously?

I swear I don’t know what’s wrong with me…I was doing pretty well. I had several days of happiness and normality – I had forgotten what that felt like – then had a little blip and all of a sudden I’m struggling again.

I do plan to call in and get a new therapist. I think having someone to talk to might be helpful.

Previously, it was like my anxiety and depression went in cycles. One day I was amped up, couldn’t sit still, totally freaking out about something, and the next day I couldn’t get out of bed.

Then, my meds kicked in and my anxiety wasn’t too bad at all. Depression was still a problem and has been getting somewhat worse, but still it was an improvement in one area at least.

Now, I’m just tired all the time unless I can adequately distract myself. But it’s like my anxiety and depression have converged. I’m still totally agitated and freaking out about multiple things, but it’s like there is an underlying darkness and hopelessness underneath it. For example, while I have many things I worry about, my skin has been BIG lately. I’m terrified of all the spots coming back, trying to come to terms with myself. So I’m freaking out about that, trying to figure out what I would do in a worst-case scenario, all that stuff….but underneath I’m thinking that it won’t do any good anyway, what happens will happen and it WILL be bad no matter how hard I try….and then I just can’t take it anymore and lie down. I’m just exhausted.

I’m planning a trip to the UK with one of my best friends this July and I’ve never been so I’m super excited (she has family there) but all this other stuff is just a massive weight and I feel like I’m not worthy of such a fun trip. I’m not nervous about the trip at all, just not good enough for it.

What to do? Any words of advice/encouragement?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: Depression and anxiety simultaneously?

My anxiety and depression often converge when I'm in the midst of an episode. You have to treat these 2 imposters equally but it is incredibly tiring.

Talking really helped me with my Anxiety, eventually. less so with my depression. I think the Meds really helped there. Some days are better than others but you can get on top of these conditions.

I have biPolar type II and for me its all about navigating whatever emotions, feelings, symptoms I'm having and getting in the best place I can on any given day. Not many days are perfect though.

Its a work forever in progress.

I'm also not very good at spotting my own Mania

It´s not uncommon for anxiety and depression to converge (as I´ve learned in my studies). It´s actually really common. Also feeling anxious is a symptom of depression, so you´re definitely not alone here!

I think getting a new therapist is definitely going to help you. Talking to somebody has improved things for me immensely. Also if you say that you think your anxiety and depression have converged, they should be able to treat both equally, so that you´ll get back to normal soon.

Until then I´d maybe try to adjust your life a bit. If you have a bad day, don´t try to do 100% of what you normally do, maybe tone it down to 20%. That way you get something done which always calms my anxiety.

I´ve got my fingers crossed that you´ll feel slightly better soon!

Thanks guys. I feel marginally better today but still not great. I'm meeting friends for drinks later which I'm not thrilled about as it will mean I stay up later than usual BUT I think seeing my friends will be a positive thing.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Hi, I know this was a week or so ago. How are you feeling? I don't suffer with depression myself currently, but I have gone through depressive states after several panic attacks or generally during an anxious phase. Seeing your friends I think will help. My friends are a massive support to me Anyway I hope you are feeling better and that you are able to enjoy your trip to the UK. Weather is pretty good here right now!

Thread Information