Thread: Feel like i cant swallow properly- pretty scared

Feel like i cant swallow properly- pretty scared

Hi,
    I guess im hoping for reassurance. In the last 6 months ive on and off- last week, feels like every meal now, having issue swallowing. My reflux has flared up and i have gastritis atm. I googled and of course difficulty swallowing is a cancer risk. And to nake it worse it says from 40 on and ive just tirned 42. Ive no other symptoms, i just freak out when it comes timeto swallow and worry ill choke, even with soup now. If i eat slow and remain calm i seem to be ok. I hope im ok! I run 4 days a week, dont smoke or drink, i dont even drink coffee. Lost 25kgs over the last 4 yrs so was hoping my reflux might disapear- ive had throat and gut issues from it for 6 years or so now. Im only 10kgs overweight now. Fairly healthy really but this has been happening this year! Im trying to stay calm, ive got a kid with disabilities so im very keen to live a long life to be here for him. I hope others can relate and help here?
    Thankyou
    Maybe its time to get the tablets again for reflux? I hate them and know its not good to take themtoo long

Re: Feel like i cant swallow properly- pretty scared

Any replies?

I'm not familiar with reflux & Gastritis conditions.
    However, I can see you have put in tremendous work to keep fit & healthy!
    If I were in your position, I would visit the GP & tell them about the exercise/weight loss etc & ask for their opinion. (Dr Google always gives inaccurate worst case scenario - he needs to be struck off!)
    It could well be stress. I'm physically well, but when I get v stressed my throat contracts & its hard to swallow.
    All the best L

One of the first symptoms of anxiety that I ever experienced was a difficulty in swallowing. Not knowing that it was a common problem with this condition, it worried me immensely. I lost a lot of weight because I was scared to swallow and ended up just eating foods that would go down easily like ice cream and soup. This was almost thirty years ago and I've learnt a lot since then so that I'm mostly fine with my swallowing now but to this day I can't eat a steak. I'm sure you'll find many people on this forum who have swallowing problems or globus where one feels like there's a lump in your throat. With reflux and gastritis I find that in times of anxiety this definitely flares up. I usually take medication for it when needed.

Thankyou so much for your replies.
    Ive been worrying myself sick about this. I really hope it calms down a bit and is nothing serious.
    I will get to a doc andget a script for ppi and if that doesntwork i guess ill have to do the baruim test orcamera. I hope its ok though.
    Wish i didnt always jump to worst possible outcome. Everytime my reflux comes back its a bit different in symptoms
    Thanks again.

I haven't experienced this before so couldn't help you.

I've had a fear of choking since I was 4. My mum said I was hospitalize as a child because I had a fear of choking and refused to eat. This was because I actually did choke on a chicken bone.

Fast forward to my teens and I choked again. This caused a fear of choking that still persists today.

Eating around other people is a big no, no. I can't do it. But, if I'm drunk I seem to have no problems shovelling food down my throat.

I've gave up worrying myself over it now. I just eat slow and accept it. I ate a 12" pizza last night. The first 2 slices were fine, after that it took me about 5 minutes to eat one slice.

Dear anxiety. Please go away.

you should treat the gerd with anti acid and if you have fear of swallowing try seroxat or cipralex . i have the same problem so im treating the gerd first because it damage my throat and i feel like food stuck in my throat

Thread Information