Thread: mirena coil

mirena coil

I am literally just throwing this out there for opinions.

I have sufffered with anxiety and panic disorder twice... once during the years 2000-2002 and again from mid 2012 to now although the panic attacks did t start until the christmas period of that year

Bear in mind I also have BPD so my hormone and moods are out of sync anyway.

From the years 2000 to 2002 I was on the pill. From 2012 I have had the mirena coil,

My first brush with anxiety started when my uncle died of a heart attack and I thought it would happen to me too. This led to my first experience with panic attacks. In january 2012 I had my second baby and thought I had developed a prolapse. (I did nt). but my anxiety about prolapse didnt begin until the august which is the same month my periods stopped due to having the mirena.

The only reason I have the mirena was for the purpose of stopping my periods as when they returned after having my baby, I kept haemorraging every month.

have any ladies here had experience with anxiety/panic disorder and the mirena or any other hormonal treatment? Im wondering if there is a link for me. I did nt suffer from anxiety or PD in between stopping the contraceptive pill to have my first baby in 2002 to having the mirena in 2012

any thoughts? thank you

Re: mirena coil

I have a Mirena coil fitted as part of my hrt (I also have oestrogen patches). I think in some people the mirena can increase anxiety but the oestrogen cancels that out for me. When I first had it fitted I was told to wait a week before taking oestrogen but after 3 days my anxiety was so high I had to stick an oestrogen patch on and the anxiety lessened straight away.

Re: mirena coil

well an update

I had 2 drs agree with me that my mirena and latest bout of anxiety/panic issues are more then likely related given my previous history and the time frame.

I had it removed last week and rather then feeling better I am now experiencing the 'mirena crash'. my anxiety is sky high, the panic attacks more frequent and intense, the chest pains hurt more and in different places and I have chest pain permanatly. I am also exhausted and very emotional.

I have to have my hormone levels checked as where I stopped ovulating my hormones are out of whack as progesterone was being produced by the mirena which is now gone. I may have to wait 6-9 months for my cycle to come back.

I ended up in a&e last night i a desperate attempt to just make it stop. I did nt think I was having a heart attack, a my pulse and heart rate felt normal, I just went for help. they gave me 6 days of diazipam which after just half a dose worked like a treat although I still feel nervous and have pain. They also gave me an ecg which was normal and listened to my chest and checked my oxygen levels, heart rate and bp/ All normal.

seeing a dr today to discuss meds to use until my cycle comes back and my hormones regulate themselves. Im also going to look into supplements. I would love to stay on diazipam but its short term use only in the UK for anxiety but is the only thing that has ever worked. I dont want it for everyday just for when I cant stop the panic but I suppose thats not a option. anti ds and I do not mix either.

Thread Information