Thread: Sever Depersonalization!!!!

Question Sever Depersonalization!!!!

Okay so several months ago i started having episodes of depersonalization. First it started out as every once and a while, then to only at night, then to at night when there was lights on, to random times throughout the day to everyday all dat long which is where i am right now. I feel unreal and like everything is a figment of my imagination. I told my therapist this yesterday and he said its untreatable basically. Its so bad i worry that like my boyfriend, i imagined him up and the reason people stare and look is cause he really isn't there and I'm just crazy and am talking to someone that i imagined. I've looked this up for months and I've read several place it can last from weeks to months to years and even never going away.. i just wanna know what to do to make it manageable and if it will get better... thank you for any help.

Re: Sever Depersonalization!!!!

Hey, welcome to this site! I just want to say I have been dealing with a very similar thing; I feel very detached from other people, my own actions, and the 'reality' of the world and begin to panic because of that. I find it strange that your therapist told you that since episodes of depersonalization often come with depression or anxiety and thus are treatable along with those issues. One thing I've done that has helped is to just engage in activities that don't give me the opportunity to overthink things in that way, such as exercising while listening to music. Finding your own 'happy place' may take some time, but if you can think of anything that truly engages your attention I would say try that out for at least a brief respite. I promise you things can get better, even if it takes a long time and a lot of effort. I am by no means an expert but hopefully this is still helpful! Best of luck.

Hello, and welcome to the site! I'd like to comfort you by saying that there is no such thing as an untreatable condition. There are only conditions that we choose to treat or not treat. I've been suffering with panic attacks for 15 years now, and depersonalisation is how my panic manifests. It's horrible and disruptive, and I can completely relate to what you're saying there. However, depersonalisation only happens when you're in an extreme state of anxiety. If you lower your anxiety levels before they spike up and go off the scale, you'll be able to avoid feeling the 'unreality.'

Hello, firstly just wanted to say that I've also had that thought when I had a boyfriend I sometimes used to think what if I'm just imagining him, and I read someone also thought the same thing. So although it doesn't really help you, you're not alone with these thoughts.
    Secondly, I think it's bad that your therapist said it's untreatable, maybe they meant there is no specific treatment for it. My psychiatrist told me it's temporary, I hope so x

It is temporary, anxiety comes and goes, though the symptom can be a recurring one. Depersonalisation has been with me for 15 years, but it's not something I can't live with. In fact, I function quite well on a daily basis, and am able to work and have a social life. I hope it helps to hear a fellow sufferer say that!

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    It is temporary, anxiety comes and goes, though the symptom can be a recurring one. Depersonalisation has been with me for 15 years, but it's not something I can't live with. In fact, I function quite well on a daily basis, and am able to work and have a social life. I hope it helps to hear a fellow sufferer say that!
    Hi Ana, It helps me to read that, so thank you Did you ever have it constantly for a few months before it settled down? X

I'm glad I was able to help. After my very first panic attack, I had severe depersonalisation for days on end. My parents ended up taking me for an MRI scan because they thought I had been having seizures. The scan, as well as other tests they ran on me, came back just fine.
    I'm not sure how to answer your question because in my head, I'm thinking: I've had panic attacks constantly for many years (probably 3 years in a row) and seeing as my panic attacks used to and still manifest as depersonalisation, I guess the answer to your question is 'yes'!

When I started feeling better and when anxiety loosened its grip on me, I started having DP less and less, and now I only get it when I have a panic attack. I hope this answers your question.

Thread Information