Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much difference a year makes

How much difference a year makes

hello fellow panickers,

Just thought I would tell you all about my successful morning. As some of you know, I am starting a PhD this week. This morning was the induction. It took place in a huge lecture hall with hundreds of people and it lasted two whole hours.[Sigh...] The worst thing is that I was going alone and I didn't know anyone there...
    I set off fully prepared with my bottle of water, a snack and my mobile so that I could keep myself busy by texting my friends if I started to feel panicky. However, I soon found out that there was absolutely no reception in the lecture hall so my there was my plan right out the window.[Duh!]
    I knew that the most important thing was that I had to get an aisle seat cos often when I sit in the middle of a row, I start to feel panicky, especially when I'm surrounded by people I don't know!! When I arrived, there was a woman who was filing us all into rows as if we were little kids. I saw that she wanted me to sit in the middle of a row so I asked her if I could please sit in an aisle seat. She just looked at me as if I was a freak and relentlessly gave in [:I] It was pretty obvious that I had disrupted her Hitlerian order lol.
    But...once the induction started, I was amazed at how comfortable I felt there!! And get this...I even raised my hand and asked a question in front of all those hundreds of people!![Wow!]
    At the same time last year, I had a very similar induction for my Masters. When I look back, I remember how nervous I was about it and what a mess I felt while I was there. I was so dizzy and I was sure that I was on the verge of having a panic attack. And as for asking a question...that NEVER would have happened. It's amazing how much progress I have made in a year!!
    So, my message for all you panickers is this: Don't give up!! These things take time, you won't get cured overnight. If you give it time and keep trying, you will soon feel so much better!![Yeah!]

Sarah

Well done Sarah,
    I'm so proud of you!!!It amazes me the progress you've made, I'm lucky I've been able to share it with you. Your success is an example to us all and certainly has given me faith in a more optimistic future! I just hope I do as well as you!
    Loads of love,
    ed
    xoxox

"Many things have fallen only to rise higher"

Hi Sarah

Well done, pleased it went so well for you.

Another positive post for us all to benefit from.

True it takes time but you can start to see the difference and that is what counts.

Love Sal xxxxx

Well done Sarah! It sounds like you have come such a long way in a year. Feeling comfortable and asking a question in front of all those people, that's amazing.

It definitely gives me hope that one day I might be able to control my panic attacks and cope with the social phobia much better.

Such an inspirational post giving encouragement to those of us not so far along the path to recovery.

Briary

Well done Sarah ,

You have worked very hard at tackling your issues and are now seeing your just rewards.

What are you going to be doing your PhD on ?

Meg

Well done Sarah!

You're right about things taking time but it's worth it in the end. Sounds like you've come a long away so give yourself a pat on the back.

Good luck with your PhD!

Take care

Emma xx

hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for your kind words!! It really does mean so much to me.

Meg - I am doing a PhD in History - I am concentrating on European immigration.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Just wanted to say well done. You must feel so good about it all. Good luck with your PhD..i'm sure you'll sail through.

Kerry x

KW

Hi Sarah, great news today went well for you.

Hi Sarah

You did so well!! I like to sit on the end of rows too so you are not alone.

Asking a question as well eh? - You show off lol.

Great news and I am so pleased that things have turned around for you.

Good luck with the course.

Nicola

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information