Thread: Flying and Diazepam.. Seriously worried

Flying and Diazepam.. Seriously worried

Hi guys,
    I realize this is a commonly covered subject, and I really don't mean to waste anyones time, but I'm feeling completely overwhelmed at the moment. I'm supposed to be flying from London to New York in July, and the thought of it makes me feel sick with anxiety. It's not the flying that scares me, it's the idea that I might have a panic attack on the plane and freak out and basically lose my mind on the plane with no way to escape.
    I've been given 6x 2mg tablets of diazepam to cope with the flight there and back. I was just wondering how likely they are to prevent a panic attack? It's a 3 month trip that I've always wanted to do, and now I'm re-thinking whether or not to go.
    Any comments / previous experiences would be really helpful!
    Thanks

Re: Flying and Diazepam.. Seriously worried

How one reacts to the med is totally individual but I can tell you I was given them to help cope with the ordeal of radiation treatments and it's a was a pretty good "chill pill". It took any nervous edge off for me.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Smile Re: Flying and Diazepam.. Seriously worried

I hate flying. But I think of where I am going!! Diazepam. You will not have a panic attack. You will be fine. If you feel like you are getting antsy just go to the bathroom. Take slow deep breaths or join the mile high club. that will keep everything busy. Do you take any other meds? Veruca

I have the same fear of flying and I always think that even taking diazepam still won't stop me having a panic attack but let me tell you this. You 100% won't have one. You could even try and force one but it won't happen.

To be honest, suffering the same fear of flying, I don't think the dosage of diazepam is nearly sufficient to overcome such a strong phobia - I needed 4mg alprazolam (equal to 80mg diazepam!!) just to get me into the damned departure lounge! And no, there was no way that would ever sedate me enough to sleep through the worst of it either - the phobia takes over and the adrenaline kicks in, and alprazolam only LESSENS the fear. Maybe I should be going for a dual anxiolytic/hyonotic like flutoprazepam or flunitrazepam (2mg+ of each), which MAY just give enough strong action to overcome the certain knowledge that we aren't going to make it into the air, and if we do, we ain't gonna stay up there... midazolam ais another strong one which is now first-line in dentists due to its amnesiac properties as well as its anxilytic/hypnotic action. Galenika's FLORMIDAL 15mg are superb, and are what I use when I simply can not sleep, stronger than flunitrazepam; acquire an opioid analgesic (Oxynorm is great and works quite quickly) and take alongside your anxiolytic to increase the effects. No alternative to being properly medicated, but doctors always underestimate phobics, and in my experience often treat us as a mild inconvenience rather than people with serious problems!
    And still I felt the need to cling desperately to the arms of the seat and pray a few Lord's Prayers and Hail Mary's - though I am not religious as I was, it seemed like the 'right' thing to do, 'hedging my bets', so to speak!
    I would find that 3 x 2mg diazepam per flight would not even entice me out of the bar, never mind onto an aluminium guided missile with so many electrics and full of aviation fuel... I guess I need knocked sideways to even consider boarding. Can't really use alcohol (I am not a drinker anyway) as they are so strict about permitting people onto aircraft who have been drinking noticeably more than one or two small ones...

How did everything go anyway? You should perhaps persuade your doctor that your fears are far too strong for such a meagre amount of anxiolysis! And trust me, uless you do one of those expensive courses run by airlines, it ain't gonna be any better in the future!
    Last edited by Thanatophobe; 20-08-16 at 22:23. Reason: Usual typo issues with bloody dreadful touchscreen

Quote Originally Posted by varucasalt View Post
    I hate flying. But I think of where I am going!! Diazepam. You will not have a panic attack. You will be fine. If you feel like you are getting antsy just go to the bathroom. Take slow deep breaths or join the mile high club. that will keep everything busy. Do you take any other meds? Veruca
    That will also relax you!!

I take diazepam as needed for sleeping. I take 2 mg and it is enough to calm me to sleep. You should be alright.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Oh, just realized this was old! Woops! Hope it went well.

Thread Information