Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: I Wanna Be Slim (again)

Re: I Wanna Be Slim (again)

I joined ww yesterday. I now weigh 11st 4 (i'm 5'5''). This is the heaviest I have ever been, even when I was pregnant. I am off work with depression & I have been comfort eating!!! Hardly any of my clothes fit me & this is making my self esteem take even more of a nose dive. So, I will see how I get on.

All the best with it hun - it's such a boost when you feel better in your clothes.

Piglet

hope it goes ok panicdiva - let us know how you get on each week - Kathy

Hi all, just to let you know that I had my first weigh in on Wed. and I lost 3 1/2 pounds!!! I'm quite chuffed.

Also, wanted to let you know about meeting I was at yesterday. I go to a local support group for depression & anxiety. Yesterday, they had brought in a speaker, which was a women from Overeaters Anonomous. She was a great speaker and everything she spoke about we could all identify with at that meeting, so much so, that quite a few were in tears. Now, I am the heaviest I have ever been right now, but I am only a few pounds over what my ideal weight for height should be. However, the principles about what she was talking about, really hit home. For instance, she spoke about sugar & choc addictions. I have long suspected that I have this but did not really want to admit to it. However, after listening to her I realised that I do indeed have a choc & sugar addiction. Once I start eating chocolate I forget to stop. She spoke about one time when her husband had recieved a large box of after eights in a gift. He opened it and ate 3, then put the rest in the fridge. The next day when she opened the frigde door the after eights called to her, and before she knew what had happened she had ate the whole box. She was so worried that her husband would find out that she went straight to the shop to buy another one, ate 3, and put the rest in the fridge.

She spoke about buying cakes at the supermarket, buy 4 & get 2 free. She would eat the 2 free ones in the car, then at home she would have 2 & give her husband the other 2.

Anyway, we all could so relate to what she was saying.

She spoke about how stuffing food in her mouth would make her forget her fears & anxieties, it would make her feel better, but as we all know, only for a very short while. As her body grew, she become more & more depressed, her fears got worse, she could not go on lifts, motorways, etc. She would hide behind her closed door, and not face people.

Anyway, she finally went to overeaters anonymous, and though it was not an easy road, she has never looked back. Going to these meetings she began to learn to love herself, to put herself first, to realise that she was a worthwhile person. In doing this, slowly the weight & the depression fell away. She still has some fears, but she is working on these, but does not beat herself up about it.

It made most of us realise that we all use food in some way to punish ourselves. It made me realise that food is just another tool for many of us to beat ourselves up with.

Anyway, just thought I would share that with you all.

I can relate to some of that ,

thanks for sharing it .

--------------------------------------------

nearly forgot to mention I lost 1 lb last week , but I am taking the slow train it seems .

Unhappy Re: I Wanna Be Slim (again)

Lost a pound today......ok I suppose. This is going to take awhile!!!

Quote Originally Posted by panicdiva View Post
    Hi all, just to let you know that I had my first weigh in on Wed. and I lost 3 1/2 pounds!!! I'm quite chuffed.

Also, wanted to let you know about meeting I was at yesterday. I go to a local support group for depression & anxiety. Yesterday, they had brought in a speaker, which was a women from Overeaters Anonomous. She was a great speaker and everything she spoke about we could all identify with at that meeting, so much so, that quite a few were in tears. Now, I am the heaviest I have ever been right now, but I am only a few pounds over what my ideal weight for height should be. However, the principles about what she was talking about, really hit home. For instance, she spoke about sugar & choc addictions. I have long suspected that I have this but did not really want to admit to it. However, after listening to her I realised that I do indeed have a choc & sugar addiction. Once I start eating chocolate I forget to stop. She spoke about one time when her husband had recieved a large box of after eights in a gift. He opened it and ate 3, then put the rest in the fridge. The next day when she opened the frigde door the after eights called to her, and before she knew what had happened she had ate the whole box. She was so worried that her husband would find out that she went straight to the shop to buy another one, ate 3, and put the rest in the fridge.

She spoke about buying cakes at the supermarket, buy 4 & get 2 free. She would eat the 2 free ones in the car, then at home she would have 2 & give her husband the other 2.

Anyway, we all could so relate to what she was saying.

She spoke about how stuffing food in her mouth would make her forget her fears & anxieties, it would make her feel better, but as we all know, only for a very short while. As her body grew, she become more & more depressed, her fears got worse, she could not go on lifts, motorways, etc. She would hide behind her closed door, and not face people.

Anyway, she finally went to overeaters anonymous, and though it was not an easy road, she has never looked back. Going to these meetings she began to learn to love herself, to put herself first, to realise that she was a worthwhile person. In doing this, slowly the weight & the depression fell away. She still has some fears, but she is working on these, but does not beat herself up about it.

It made most of us realise that we all use food in some way to punish ourselves. It made me realise that food is just another tool for many of us to beat ourselves up with.

Anyway, just thought I would share that with you all.
    I agree with you panicdiva - food can be used to deal with anxiety. In my case it was the opposite way round and I restricted for about 4 years. A couple of years ago I decided to knock that on the head and eat properly again. I think I just got fed up with it and thought enough is enough.

Either way, its hard to overcome because the food side of things is like a support mechanism (well it was for me) and helped me keep my anxiety in check (or so I thought!).

Do you do exercise? Sorry, I havent read all of the thread. I do some exercise DVDs at home and have only been doing them for about a week and already I am feeling so much better about myself. I feel stronger mentally and feel like I am taking better care of myself.

Are you feeling the "mental" benefits to this as well? xx

Well done everybody.

Has anyone tried the Paul Mckenna weight loss cd cos I keep hearing rave reviews on it.

It's funny isn't it that I have managed to lose weight this year for the first time in 20 years and I started to listening to his cd 'Change your life in 7 days' back in May.

I don't put him down to all my achievements cos I was making good headway both with the agoraphobia and the weight loss since the beginning of the year anyway but I really do feel he has helped keep me on the right road with both actually, by boosting my self esteem (I didn't even like the chap beforehand) - I was actually quite bigheaded to someone recently when I was telling them of my achievements lol, almost boasting, so I am guessing my self esteem is on the up!!!

Love Piglet

hi fellow slimmers..well i put on 7pounds while i was pc free Gosh the post about the overeaters anon lady really got to me ..compulsive eating is somthing i have battled with since i was 13!!I battle with it every day It is a very complex disorder and i wont bore you all stiff with it..but hey,thanks for writing about it ..it may be an answer for me..if i can get to a meeting????Kathy, sooooo well done mate ..i am back to 16stn 3 now..so i have to start over againAm doing ww too.on my own tho..fingers crossed.Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hiya guys.

i was apart of this post at the very beggining but i didnt last very long. it seems impossible to keep my motivation going when there are so many yummy foods out there to be eaten

BUT

over the last couple of days a few things have happened that've made me realise i need to lose weight

*went clothes shopping because i only have 2 pairs of trousers left that fit me and realised i definatly HAVE gone up another size
    *large stretch marks have appeared on the front of my thighs due to sudden weight increase
    *someone emailed me some pics last night of me and my fella and i'm disgusted at huge i've become
    *i found some old pics the other day of when i was a slim and toned size 10 and made me realise how good i could look.
    *clothes seem to look really bad on me

SO

*i was wondering if anyone has any meal suggestions for keeping off the weight?
    *are there any foods i should completely avoid (other than the obvious sugar)?
    *i love cooking but i'm a bit stuck as to what to cook? (since i love cheese sauces and all the other typical fatty foods)
    *does anyone know of any good websites?
    oh and im a veggi aswell

i'd really appreciate any tips anyonhas. thanks

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread Information