Thread: Possible HIV exposure...I hate this. :(

Possible HIV exposure...I hate this. :(

I was at my university yesterday and used one of the restrooms, then realized there was blood under the seat and that it may have gotten on the toilet paper I used. This was something I had kind of a phobia of for a long time...I finally got tested for HIV/STIs about a year and a half ago when I got into a relationship with my current partner, and haven't really worried about it since as everything came back negative for both of us.
    I went to the student health center a few hours later, and talked to two different doctors there. Both of them said they considered it such a low-risk exposure that they wouldn't recommend post-exposure prophylaxis, but after I spent about half an hour panicking and hyperventilating in their office, suggested I get tested just for peace of mind (we have clinics near here that can test for HIV a week after exposure), not because they think I'm likely to have caught anything. Even that's not 100% accurate though. I won't know for sure if I caught anything for six months, and even then, tests sometimes give false negatives.
    PEP is effective for 72 hours after exposure, so I could still go back and change my mind and decide to do it. I feel like I'm being stupid by NOT insisting on the PEP even though it has a bunch of horrible side effects (liver toxicity, blood issues, generally feeling terrible) and is supposedly not medically necessary, and that I'm going to regret not doing it if I end up having HIV. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? What did you end up doing?
    I'm also frustrated and feel like I should just stop leaving the house altogether. What's the point anymore? All that happens is that I just get into ridiculous, dangerous situations no matter how careful I am and how hard I try to avoid them. I'm going to be the first person in history ever to have caught HIV from a toilet seat. I hate this.

Re: Possible HIV exposure...I hate this. :(

I'm sorry you're in such a spiral. Some of the HIV fear posts are a rough as the ALS and rabies fears. These are just words on a forum but perhaps you can read back your own post and recognize the total irrationality and impossible scenario you created in your mind?

If indeed you were the going to be the first person to get HIV from a toilet seat, the world would know your name. I'm not holding my breath

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I once thought I got knob rot the same way. Turned out I was worrying for no reason.

Bit of a late reply but the facts state that HIV cannot live for long outside the human body (not even minutes I believe) so catching it in the way you have described is impossible.

Thread Information