Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lorazepam

lorazepam

has anyone got any experience with this? I've been prescribed some 1mg tablets for anxiety but they don't seem to be having any effect.

Re: lorazepam

I am the same as you Carl , don't seem to do anything for me x

Oh, I've been prescribed the same. I've got a job interview on Monday and my doctor recognised that I'm a stress head at the moment. I've had a good day today so I'm not now wanting to give them a go, particularly if you guys say they don't work.

As far as I know 1 mg is a pretty low dose for lorazepam (aka ativan). Like all benzos they can be habit forming though. That's one thing to bear in mind.

Look at this poor chap. He's young and I think these things are harsh on young people and we don't know how many he's taken, but he's in such a state. I'm not taking any, even if I can't do the interview.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QrsKMofWZE

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissAlone View Post
    Look at this poor chap. He's young and I think these things are harsh on young people and we don't know how many he's taken, but he's in such a state. I'm not taking any, even if I can't do the interview.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QrsKMofWZE
    Why didn't your GP just give you Diazepam? That's pretty much the standard anyway with Benzo's over here. Why give out something strong like Ativan?

Benzo tolerance is supposed to be very hard to beat. I've had Zopiclone tolerance (cheers to my GP for not doing it right) but it wasn't too bad even at this point where I had had my breakdown, but I was only on it about 4-5 weeks so nothing like people who've been on the things for years.

But be careful around the internet. I could show you sites that state SSRI's do some very serious things to people and it was a scaremongering site with dubious references.

All benzondiazepines are VERY effective anti anxiety meds.
    It could be you need a higher dose to combat the level of anxiety.
    Discuss this carefully with your doctor.

Yes they are highly addictive if taken daily over a long period (over two weeks)
    But it is not impossible to withdraw from them on a careful slow withdrawal schedule.
    Goggle the Ashton manual

The med of choice for impending anxiety/ interview or starting a new job could be propanalol, which reduces adrenaline and anxiety symptoms. It is not addictive, but cannot be taken if you have low BP or asthma.

Quote Originally Posted by dally View Post
    The med of choice for impending anxiety/ interview or starting a new job could be propanalol, which reduces adrenaline and anxiety symptoms. It is not addictive, but cannot be taken if you have low BP or asthma.
    Just to add to the bit in red, there are slightly safer beta blockers for people with asthma. They can all be used if a doctor decides the gain outweighs the risk like any med, but there are certainly at least 4 I've seen that are more acceptable for asthma sufferers.

Now I'm confused! I think my doctor prescribed lorazepam because they're non drowsy and only lasts 2 hours. Also he probably knows I'm not a pill popper, hence my reluctance to increase mirtazapine from 15mg.

Yes Terry, totally see what you mean about watching videos, they can be misleading and scare mongering.

I thought Lorazepam was a drowsy one?(aren't all Benzo's?) I thought it's sedative properties are longer than Diazepam? Maybe they are not as sharp by comparison?

That guy is really suffering in the vid, I feel sorry for him. Davit, who used to be on here, was tolerant to Ativan and he was vocal about it in the same way as someone who had gone through withdrawal after years on it. Maybe that's true of many of Benzo withdrawer? When going through withdrawal, it's going to look at it's worst, after someone may be able to look back and be more objective?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information