Thread: Colonoscopy

Colonoscopy

Hiya folks

Just abit of info if anyone is having a colonoscopy anytime soon, I had an appointment Thursday with the gastrointestinal doctor as I have ibs and been having cramps etc lately and no appetite etc, after seeing him he gave me the papers to take to book a colonoscopy appointment, this was Thursday afternoon at five I went to endoscopy suite ti book my appointment expecting it to be a few weeks but to my surprise they said how's Saturday for you at 2.15 amd sent me off to get the bowel prep from the pharmacy.

Omg this picolax was nice to drink but not once it kicked in
    Sorry but the diarrhea is explosive I had to stop upstairs allday in bed as my toilet is upstairs across from the bedroom I took the first sachet at 8 am it took 3 hours to get going, at 4pm I had my second sachet but to be honest the first one did the job, the second the diarrhea eased alot and i just passed mainly yellow fluid which was clear showing the bowel was clear of any stool or faces, just drink plenty of water I drunk approx 4 1/2 litres so was well hydrated if you don't drink enough you may get a bad headache and feel sick.

Anyway today at 2.15 was the colonoscopy I was very anxious as I do suffer with anxiety my options was sedation or gas and air I wasn't bothered about sedation so said I'll try gas an air, I was dreading it after reading horror stories of other people's procedures with pain etc, so after waiting about ten mins I was took through weighed and asked to sit in the waiting in my gown for the procedure, about 5/10 mins I was called through the nurses was great told I suffer anxiety and was abit anxious and they said not to worry they will keep an eye on me and they would give me gas and air if needed, consultant started the colonoscopy and before I knew it he was nearly at the end if my colon, there was no pain at all I didn't even feel bloated, it felt funny like something was kicking inside me were the colon turns but no pain at all, it was great to,see and watch the monitor but I was talking to the nurses and consultant most of the time, he got right to the end of the cecum amd then comes back out blowing in air and checking the colon coming out, the sensation was what I'd say a women feels when having a baby moving inside the stomach weird lol

The whole procedure can take 40 mins but mine didn't seem to take long at all, you start on your left side then I was asked to lie on my back which still didn't give me any pain at all, after he had done he told me there and then the test was clear the didn't remove any polyps or take any biopsies as it was all good in there.

I was told I'd done a good job of the prep and did very well to have no pain relief etc by the consultant and nurses after being so anxious

After the procedure your took to recovery I had a cuppa tea blood pressure and temp took the told to get dressed and that I was good to go.

The whole experience was good please don't be worried by it the staff are brilliant and obviously everyone us diffrent but u suffered no pain at all just felt uncomfortable at most and what surprised me the most was I didn't even pass any wind at all after the procedure which I was very surprised at after the videos I'd watched of other people who had the same thing done

So hope this helps anyone who is worrying bout this procedure by far the worse thing is the prep, keep vaseline or sudocrem handy you may need it for the prep work and enjoy the rest it's not everyday you get to see your insides at such close ups

Re: Colonoscopy

The worst part is the prep for sure.

Thread Information