Thread: Finally Receiving Help

Finally Receiving Help

A little about me to start; I am 28 years old, 2 kids and a university student. I have a history of depression, although currently I do not feel depressed. My levels of anxiety have just reached a point where it's effecting my day to day life.

For as long as I can remember I've had issues with anxiety, but I never once sought help for it, even during my period of depression. I would try to ignore it and pass it off as just being something that was part of me that couldn't change, so I lived life as best as I could and pushed through. Not dealing with it, however, has now brought me to this point. After having a couple of weeks off from university, it was time to go back. Last night I started feeling extremely anxious about it and this morning, for the first time in a long time, experienced a full blown panic attack.

For many years now I have been the kind of person who; hides away and avoids social situations, is anxious to meet new people, is not interested in relationships and I constantly feel as though I'm being judged by everyone around me. I just feel so small, I'm 28 years old and even 18 year olds seem older than I do; It's an odd feeling. I don't like to sociialise, even when my family are over, I have to escape for a short period of time because I become too anxious around them.

After my panic attack this morning I decided it's time to finally deal with it, so I'm booked in to see my GP this morning. He agreed that what I'm experiencing is down to anxiety. He did a questionnaire with me on Generalised Axiety Disorder. prescribed me with 10mg Citalopram and mentioned the possibility of CBT. I am due to see him again in 10 days time. I'm not thrilled about being back on medication but at this point in time I will try anything to help with the anxiety.

Has anyone here been on Citalopram? If so, did it help? Also, what are your thoughts on CBT?

Re: Finally Receiving Help

Bravo, MrJay.

You're making the right call. Learning how to attack these feeling can be the most difficult part of the process.

I am on 20mg Prozac (fluoxetine) and take klonopin sparingly to manage extreme anxiety/panic and I have found that both medication AND therapy is the combo that works for me. It sounds like your GP listened to your concerns and made the decision to start with Citalopram. Give it a chance and see if it's the right med for you. 10mg is a low dose, so don't beat yourself up for giving meds a shot. Some folks just need it and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

I am confident that as you explore both medicine and therapy that you'll find the right balance. It's all trial and error in with anxiety disorder

Best wishes to you!

Thread Information