Thread: Lymph nodes in neck

Lymph nodes in neck

I found a swollen lymph noded in my neck that has set off my health anxiety again. I 've booked a doctors appointment for this week but I'm just looking for a little information/advice/reassurance from people on here as I know lymph nodes are a hot topic.

The initial lymph node I felt is around 0.5-0.8cm, maybe the size of a pea. It's hard to measure these things but it's certainly not over 1cm. I found it around 4weeks ago with no recent infections or ill health. Over the course of the 4 weeks it seems to hardened a little but I'm not sure if this has been hardened naturally or been caused by prodding. I've not touched it so much the last couple of days and have taken ibuprofen and it seems to have gone slightly smaller and softer by the tiniest of margins but I'm really not sure. I'm pretty sure it's mobile to some extent and it causes no pain.

I was starting to worry less about it but I've just discovered a second lymph node next to the initial node (and possibly a third a little further down the neck). All three nodes seem to be in the same chain with the biggest 2 kinda connected (although I might be imagining this). The third one is hardly worth mentioning in size but the second one in maybe around 0.3cm. I can't feel corrsponding nodes on the right side of the neck which is why I've really noticed even these tiny ones on the left hand side.

I guess the nodes aren't particularly big and I may have had them for months for all I know. But do these symptoms sound like I should be concerned at all? I have bigger and more definded lymph nodes in my armpits but I know those are there and they are normal for me. This is the first time I have felt these lymph nodes in my neck so they aren't normal to me hence I'm googling... and worrying... and prodding...and making my neck hurt...and therfore worrying even more.

Re: Lymph nodes in neck

Hi, I too have small pea-like nodes in one side of my neck (right) they don't stick out but you can feel them if you poke around. Try not to touch them- this inflames them more and can make them tender. I think mine are probably 'shotty nodes' that just never completely disappeared after an infection, sometimes they feel like they've disappeared, other times they feel bigger. Mine are also quite hard but they'be been there for at least 6 months now so I try not to worry. You could always get your gp to check them though.

Thread Information