Thread: Ear Ache

Ear Ache

Hi all,

Had ear pain in my left ear 3 weeks ago. 3 days into it with the pain coming and going but being more constant I went to see a nurse. She said I had an ear infection and I was given penicillin for 7 days.

The pain subsided within 2 days but my stomach wasn't having a fun time on the meds. 2 days after finishing the medication the pain came back.

Went to see my GP who said there was still redness and they prescribed an antibiotic spray. Within a day or so the pain had subsided. But after 5 days (7 day medication course) the pain was coming back.

Went to see another nurse who said the infection has cleared up and the spray was probably irritating the ear at this point. She told me to take pain killers (they don't help) as and when needed and if the problem continues I should see a GP again to have a swab of my ear taken to see if there's bacteria causing problems.

All good

Unfortunately not as I started to think - what if my other ear gets infected? Within 24 hours I started getting pain in that ear. Again it was on and off. As with anxiety symptoms I've had over the past 7 years one pain replaces another and rarely do they ever occur at the same time.

So I put it down to anxiety. Perhaps jaw tension? The next day my jaw is painful and tender. A few days later I catch a cold and my ear pain flares up again in my right ear. I presume it is definitely a new infection. So the past 48 hours the pain has been almost constant. Now the cold is nearly over but my sinuses are still blocked. Ear pain due to congestion can occur so as well as stress there could be an actual reason for the discomfort.

The pattern here seems to suggest I assume something and my body mimics my fear.

I'm no stranger to that. When I first showed physical manifestations of anxiety I got chest pains and palps. From that I deduced that my heart was about to give out. From there symptoms expanded to include jaw pain, left arm pain etc etc.

So, maybe this ear pain is yet another symptom of anxiety? I think the problem I'm facing is that in 7 years I have indeed had almost every pain imaginable. Sometimes lasting hours, weeks or months. 1 even lasted almost daily for a year.

But ear ache is utterly new to me. I've never had an ear infection before. As many people know I'm sure, a new symptom equals new worries, a new fixation and a prolonged exposure to said symptoms.

Can anyone relate to the ear pains? I know there are people who can as I Google searched this forum and ear pain and saw some posts. Not that many mind you. Perhaps that's why I'm making one of my own.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance at this point. I'm home alone for the next 4 days and I think my worries are getting the best of me.

Ed

Re: Ear Ache

Quote Originally Posted by raggamuffin View Post

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance at this point. I'm home alone for the next 4 days and I think my worries are getting the best of me.

Ed
    ANXIETY ANXIETY ANXIETY, trust me you're fine and there's nothing to worry about. Here's a tip for your infection:

Assuming you see no liquid or pus draining out of the ear do the following:

Warm compression – apply a warm washcloth to the ear.
    Warm olive oil, put several drops into the ear. MAKE SURE THE OIL ISN'T TOO HOT.

Deep down I don't even think it is an infection. When I did have an infection and my ear itched if I pressed against my ear to rub it - it was very sore and painful to even press slightly. I've not had this at all with my right ear.

I'm thinking that maybe my ear is a little painful from this sinus congestion. But it's painful at a normal level but because I worried and fretted so much about getting an infection in my other ear that it feels worse than it actually is.

I noticed since making the post yesterday that when I was thinking and fretting about it the pain didn't let up for hours. But when I was busy and distracted - as with virtually all my anxiety symptoms it lessened.

Ed

So yesterday I woke up with the pain. But I decided the night before I was going to take the "it's just anxiety" stance and not fixate on it. Sure enough throughout 90% of the day no pain. When it did occur I didn't play into the fear.

Today more of the same. Woke up with the pain but pushed on through. A bit less successful today though as I got through about 70 or 80% of the day without pain.

The drive home from work hit me with a panic attack unfortunately. Bad dizziness when leaving the office. Escalated to hyperventialting, numbness on my face, dizziness so bad I thought I was going to pass out.

Focused on calming myself down. Rang my folks on the car phone and chatted with them for the journey ohme. Towards the end I felt myself calming down.

Then I pull up to the driveway and see some shady looking guy stood waiting right next to my house. He walked away as soon as I pulled into my driveway but that was rather unnerving.

Phone just rang. made me jump - assumed it'd be the guy somehow ringing me to threaten me. Home invasion etc. Honestly - the anxious way of thinking seems instinctive doesn't it? Something occurs and instantly your mind jumps to such an overwhelmingly melodramatic "What if?" it seems strange that your brain even went there as a first base.

Sure after the initial panic response you can reel yourself in with some rationalisation and calming techniques. But when your first reaction is so out of context it makes you wonder sometimes how you can really challenge and overcome anxious ways of thinking when instinct seems to be geared towards it.

Ed

Thread Information