Thread: Weight Training Make Anxiety Worse?

Weight Training Make Anxiety Worse?

So before all this depression and anxiety stuff happened to me I used to love working out and did a lot of crossfit.

Last night I did some kettle bell workouts. I only did one set and 12 reps for each exercise.

I swear it made my anxiety worse! Can this actually happen. I seem to do fine when I walk, ride my bike and do gentle yoga.

I may also be having a blip right now, so not sure if that's why I feel like this.

Re: Weight Training Make Anxiety Worse?

I've always found exercise helps with my anxiety. Maybe your workout was a bit too much. As you say, you may be having a blip at the moment so maybe stick to gentler exercise like walking and yoga.

Could be maybe impacting your anxiety a little. A few months ago when I was really bad I sometimes would walk up the stairs and feel my heartrate go up. And I was like omg is my heart ok?

But soon I realised that my body is in pretty good shape and I was ramping my heart rate up to like 190 back when I was rowing so what could happen. Now this fear is totally gone and working out is again enjoyable and 'relaxing'. I also do Crossfit, I love it and I feel so close to normal these days when I finish my workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckybecks View Post
    I've always found exercise helps with my anxiety. Maybe your workout was a bit too much. As you say, you may be having a blip at the moment so maybe stick to gentler exercise like walking and yoga.
    It always helped me too. Maybe it was a bit to much and I need to recover some more before I start any weight training or maybe I need to push myself and do it since i haven't done it for so long. My body probably has to get use to it again. Everything is so confusing and I feel like I am walking on eggshells with everything I do in fear of increased anxiety/panic attack.

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mrose View Post
    Could be maybe impacting your anxiety a little. A few months ago when I was really bad I sometimes would walk up the stairs and feel my heartrate go up. And I was like omg is my heart ok?

But soon I realised that my body is in pretty good shape and I was ramping my heart rate up to like 190 back when I was rowing so what could happen. Now this fear is totally gone and working out is again enjoyable and 'relaxing'. I also do Crossfit, I love it and I feel so close to normal these days when I finish my workout.
    I don't have any fear about working out. If anything its something I want to try to do at least a couple days a week. Glad to hear you are able to still do crossfit. It is awesome. Also glad to hear you are feeling close to normal with your workouts.

Thread Information