Thread: Brain Zaps.

Brain Zaps.

I'm looking for some information on brain zaps. I have recently been struggling with a variety of symptoms and the doctors have put it down to anxiety, which I'm trying (and failing) to accept.

It started about 2 months ago with what I can only describe and a jolt/shock feeling in my brain. I was sitting down had the sudden strange feeling in my brain and then a wave of adrenaline (or a similar feeling) rushed through my body.

It came out of nowhere and I immediately assumed I had had a stroke or something scary and then that set off a chain of HA issues and led me dowN MRIs, ECGs and Blood tests and all have come back fine.

I am still getting these strange head zap sensations however and just had a BIG one. They only last about 5 seconds at the most but it's an incredibly scary and unnerving thing.

Anyway, my point is, can these zaps occur if you are not taking any medication? I chose not to and decided to go at this with acceptance and therapy.

Your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated as I'm currently terrified that I'm a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Also, is there any chance that this could epilepsy?

I have had strange head sensations for a long long time, way before this whole HA nightmare.

I didn't really worry about them too much as they were mild, but suddenly there are these new electric shock feelings. It feels like someone has stuck a plug in my brain and it starts working in overdrive, followed by a wave of tinglyness in my arms and hands.

I then feel "spacy" for the rest of the day.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Colicab85; 12-06-16 at 16:10.

Re: Brain Zaps.

IME i have felt and still feel what you described
    feels like my brain gets random jolts although, it happens a lot in my head
    its not isolated to that area ill sometimes feel like in random parts of my body

brain zaps are more common when withdrawing from anti depressants
    but if you're not on any AD's

anxiety can manifest itself into some crazy physical disturbances and can promise are not life threatening if you do have nothing wrong and its purely anxiety
    which is what i usually endure

i dont get much of the irrational thoughts anymore, but i do feel physical side effects of anxiety
    i too have done a bunch of test, cat scans and so fourth and like you i was also given the diagnoses of anxiety

i can relate that its hard to believe that simple anxiety issues can make you feel that way but believe me and im sure everyone can agree when i say
    anxiety can make you feel that way

what type of treatment are you doing?
    meds? trying the natural route?

Thank you for your reply.

Currently I'm not having any treatment. I start CBT on the 17th. Like I say, I want to avoid any pill based medication.

What is confusing me is that this whole episode started with a brain zap. I had no other symptoms of anxiety, physical or mental, and then bang, got a brain zap and it all went downhill from there.

Which is what makes me think is genuinely could be epilepsy, and not in a health anxiety
    sort of way. It's always been the properly life shortening/life threatening things that I've struggled with.

Those bloody zaps though are the WORST. I really never want one ever again.

Anyone else got a little more experience with these Brain Zaps?

Rest assured if your MRI has come back fine you probably have nothing to worry about.

Thread Information