Thread: claustrophobia

claustrophobia

I have just joined this forum and would like to hear from anyone else that suffers and would like to overcome it.

Re: claustrophobia

Anyone able to help with info?

surely there must be someone other than me with claustrophobia..

I thought I had claustrophobia as I've always had issues in closed spaces with other people. Turned out it is agoraphobia. Trapped feeling, needing to escape.

My Dad was claustrophobic and avoided elevators up until his 60s when mum ended up in hospital on the 8th floor and he forced himself to get in!

I'm claustrophobic and hadn't stepped foot in an elevator for about three years up until a couple weeks ago when I began exposure therapy. It really helps to just force yourself to get in those uncomfortable situations because you learn that they really aren't that bad! I used to literally refuse to step foot in an elevator and if there wasn't stair access in a certain building, I literally wouldn't go up. Now, I think I'd be comfortable enough to ride in one if I have to.
    Exposure therapy works (if done properly!)

hi I am interested in the therapy you got to help you, I really want to deal with this.

I have just posted about this same subject on anther thread.
    I don't know if there is any treatment to help any one.
    I have been claustrophobic since I was a child.
    I don't like elevators either.

Hi, I suffer from claustrophobia a lot, i cant go in lifts, busy buses or trains and now it's things like traffic jams and queues. If I go to a busy venue, i have to sit or stand near the exit. Mine started when I was very young and i haven't really been able to overcome it yet.
    The only treatment I know is exposure therapy which I have tried and did make small amounts of progress, but I'm a long gone way from cured. I hope someone on the forum can post information about treatments that will help you. Take Care.

I had a fear of elevators but it was the fear of it breaking down and getting stuck in it, not the closed space. I believe the only way to get over it is through it,not around it. Easier said then done. And i believe now its never fully gone, something you have to maintain. I wound up working on the 7th floor of a hospital where i spent all day taking that dam elevator, at least 20 times a day. After a while no more fear of elevators. What i do notice is 3 years after i quit the fear is coming back thats why i said i believe our fears are something we have to first conquer then maintain. Exposure i think, repeated exposure to your fear until your brain relearns that its ok. Longer time in traffic, little elevator ride then more and more. Takes along time but if you keep at it, it works. Its not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by almamatters View Post
    Hi, I suffer from claustrophobia a lot, i cant go in lifts, busy buses or trains and now it's things like traffic jams and queues. If I go to a busy venue, i have to sit or stand near the exit. Mine started when I was very young and i haven't really been able to overcome it yet.
    The only treatment I know is exposure therapy which I have tried and did make small amounts of progress, but I'm a long gone way from cured. I hope someone on the forum can post information about treatments that will help you. Take Care.
    hi you sound a lot like me, what form did your therapy take, I really want to deal with this.

Thread Information