Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help calm me down a little bit? I've never been so scared

Please help calm me down a little bit? I've never been so scared

I'm sure some of you may have seen my post about my weird chest sensations/pains. Well after reading symptoms I thought my neck started to hurt when Im thinking about it. I was looking in the mirror and I see a hump where my neck base meets my back or spine. I showed my mom and she said it's possible it was always there and we just didn't notice it. It's not hard at all... Just like extra skin in that area and maybe swollen. I've been absolutely hysterical after seeing it, crying and begging her to take me to the ER. She told me that I need to calm down a bit and that she'll make a Dr appointment Monday so now I'm going to spend all weekend crying my eyes out because I know that this is something serious and I'm going to die, now I'm really noticing neck pain. Even when I go to the dr on Monday he's going to send me to get more testing, Of course I looked this up online and it seems to be a common issue among older women but I really don't know if this is suddenly there or if it's been there for a long time. I can't stop thinking about dying now... I can tell my mom is very concerned but she's trying to stay calm for me. She has health anxiety too just not as extreme as me and I know she's looking things up right now. I'm just scared I'm going to die. If this is common among older women I shouldnt have it because I'm only 16.

Re: Please help calm me down a little bit? I've never been so scared

It's perfectly normal to have that little hump there, I think it's more noticeable with people who have bad head posture for example where your head is either facing down all day or too forward, its just muscle underneath which can make it look 'puffier'

As I have a daughter that suffers with depression and anxiety (22), it pains me as a parent to see someone so young suffering.

Print out this thread and take it to the doctor with you. He needs to know what's going on mentally with you. Talk to your Mom and also make sure to ask about getting help for your anxiety. What you're describing, IMO, is a normal body structure and not sinister in the least yet you're hysterical over it.

Let us know how you make out.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree and I know because I've been there numerous times! It does make you see normal things differently, and I'm always questioning if I've had it all my life or not. They're simply normal things that other people wouldn't even notice let alone worry about. It's dreadful I know that's why the best thing you can do is show your doctor x

Thank you guys very much for all of your replies! I was finally able to calm myself down a bit. I don't know how to explain it or why I hadn't noticed it before?????? It's on the base of my neck on the back and is actually visible a bit when I was looking in the mirror. The posture thing would make perfect sense for me, at school my head was constantly bent forward all day at my desk. Google came up things like a Buffalo hump, which for the most part seems pretty harmless. I looked up the images and a lot look like what I have, some a lot worse. I'm trying my best to remain positive, it's just so hard to do with all of these "what ifs" constantly running through my head. It's just so terrifying not knowing. I'll see what the doc has to say on Monday, I'm praying that it'll all be ok. Thank you guys again for your responses! They really helped me a lot!

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Im so terrified thinking of what my doc is going to say. I keep imagining he'll take one look at my neck and say he's very concerned and send me for testing, tests that would confirm the that something serious and unfixable is wrong with me and then that's just it for me.

It's like I know that my health anxiety has convinced me of many things in the past, but it's not everyday that there's a huge, noticeable hump in the back of my neck where it meets my spine. From images on google it looks like a buffalo hump, but I just don't understand how I would have never noticed it before. This has got to be cancer, I already know it. Now I'm just spent wondering how bad it is and if they will be able to do anything for me.

Oh dear, i am so sorry you are feeling like this.
    Once i went with my mom to see the doctor. She was going for checkups because of a new diet, i was just accompanying her.
    The doctor saw me and went straight to me, completely ignoring my mom.
    He sent me for a thyroid study, i have a very round face and a VERY pronounced hump right where you say yours is.
    Everything was fine. It's just REALLY bad posture, plus i spend practically all day on the computer so it doesn't help :P
    We had never noticed it, and it has to be quite pronounced to have the doctor so concerned but it was nothing
    And don't think it could be your thyroid for what i said. My face IS very round and i was a bit overweight so it looked even rounder. Oh and i have a pronounced double chin, and a VERY VERY fat neck.
    Is just the way i'm built, a half sister has those same characteristics so is genetic and nothing sinister don't you worry.
    For the record i am 24, suffering from HA since two years ago.

Thank you very much for sharing, Furret! I feel a lot better after reading your post. I'm trying my best to remain positive about all of this! I was almost thinking about cancelling my appointment tomorrow, it's like if something is wrong I don't even want to know! Lol. But it will be nice to hopefully have a peace of mind afterwards! Thank you again! I'll keep ya posted on what the doc says tomorrow!

Oh wow guys, I was under the impression that I had an appointment set up this morning before my mom went to work. This morning she is acting like she almost forgot about this whole thing?? I'm honestly really confused right now... Friday she seemed concerned and now it's just kind of like a whatever thing with her. I'm worried, I don't know if this hump is recent or what's going on. When I'm standing up it feels soft like extra skin, when I bend over it feels like it's bone!? I'm not having any problems with it or anything, I'm just confused as to why it's there. Online I read that some part of your brain can have cancer which causes this hump, other things I've seen that something in your kidney with cancer can cause this hump. I'm just really confused, is it unlikely that this is cancer of some kind since I don't have any other symptoms ? Do you guys think I should just try to forget about this for awhile? My mom doesn't seem to concerned about it I guess, I don't know.

I have this on my neck as do most normal people.

try to stop stressing.

Enjoy your life. It's short.

People like us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information