Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie....

Another newbie....

Hi all,
    Im baz and ive had problems with anxiety for a few years now.
    My firt panic attack happened at work around 4 years ago, I was sitting at my desk feeling strange when the light headedness and racing heart first happened. it scared the s#@t out of me and i ended up sitting in a toilet cubicle for an hour or so before going home in a taxi.
    I ended up being off work for 4 weeks but found it dificult getting back to work as kept having panic attacks on the train. I eventually made it into work one day and from then was ok for about 9 months when it returned out of the blue. Same old thing had another 4 weeks off and had to keep getting off the train most mornings.
    Anyways, got made redundant about 2 1/2 years ago and to be honest i was quite relieved.

Things have changed quite a bit since then, i no longer feel dizzy and sick (well not as much) but i have a real problem going anywhere. Im ok if i can walk but catching a bus or going in a car is a nightmare.
    If i have to go out i will feel ill at the thought of it and usually work myself up into such a state that its a certainty that ill have a panic attack. At the moment the worst thing is that i feel like i need to use the toilet desperately. no sooner am i in a car and it starts. Im off to spain next saturday and im dreading the drive to the airport as it will take about an hour, just feels like im trapped for an hour with no escape if i need it. Ive done it before and the feeling of elation when we get to the airport is great, well untill im sat on the plane and the seatbelt signs are on which means the toilets cant be used.

Ive seen my GP many times and he has prescribed the usual propranolol and paroxetine but at the moment feels i dont need any medicine so has stopped them.
    Ive also asked to be refered on a few occasions but he just says that he thinks im not the "sort" of person to be on drugs for the rest of my life.

I now only go out a couple of times a month, usually to interesting places like the post box to post a letter or the shop to get a pint of milk. My wife is also disabled and needs to attend hospital regular and it makes me feel bad when i have to let someone else go with her as the thought of going is too much.
    Im sure my GP thinks im just lazy and has said that im enjoying the sitting at home lifestyle and its no wonder i dont want to go out. :(

Well i feel better for that and hope i havent bored too many of you.

Hopefully speak soon

Baz

Hi Baz

Welcome to the site. You will find lots of support and good advice here.

KW

Hi Baza

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of people here who understand what you are going through.

It doesn't sound like your doctor is very sympathetic. Have you thought about seeing a different doctor? Lots of people benefit from counselling.

You will get a lot of support here.

Briary

hey baza,

I'm glad you've found the site! You will find so much support here it really helps to not feel alone.
    I agree with briary, you really need to speak to another doctor,you'll perhaps get a different answer. Keep on and on until you find someone who understands!

tracy x

Hi Baza

Welcome to the site.

When did you last have a panic attack?
    Going to the lou alot is another symptom of anxiaty.
    Since finding this sit at the end of August thay have helped
    me soooo much, I have not had a panic attack since the
    middle of August and my anxiaty levels have dropped.
    The support and advice they give is pricless.
    With alot of hard work support and time you to will
    see a end. Remeber never say never.

Where about in spain are you going?

Look farward to reading your post.

LOVE JILLXX

May your troubles be less
    and your blessings be more
    and nothing but happiness
    come through your door..

Hi Baz,

Welcome to the site, i'm sure it will be a huge help to you. I would seriously consider changing doctors (or at least asking for a second opinion), i don't think your GP's attitude is doing you any favours at all.

There are loads of people on these forums that are in a similar position to you, hopefully we can give you some help and support

Take Care, Andy (pootle)

hello Baza,

Welcome to the site!! You are definetly in the right place as I'm sure you will find loads of support here.

Sarah

Hi Baza!

Welcome! When I discovered this site 3 weeks ago, I was agoraphobic! I hadnt been out in nearly a year and the panic attacks and depression I suffered were miserable.
    Well in the past 2 weeks Ive managed to pick my daughter up from school twice AND accompany my elder daughter on a family trip to Alton Towers!! Not only that but I rode on AIR!! My fear of rollercoasters is humungous! I still have a way to go yet but the people in here show you the right path!

You are definately in the right place!

Good luck to you... Minny..xx

Well done minny! That is such good news! Picking up kids from school is one of the things i really hate, the playground is always so busy. So, well done!

Take care

tracy x x

Thanks for all your reply's

To answer a few questions im actually going to Ibiza (san antonio bay)
    I went to Magaluf back in May and ended up having 3 can of lager befor the journey to the airport. It helped but i was still a wreck 5 mins into the journey. We are travelling to the airport on a minibus this time, there are 9 of us going and i think its a 12 seater so at least ill have some room and wont feel so closed in.

Ive had a few attacks in the last month or so. The worst was going to my wifes sisters funeral. The fact that i HAD to be there for my wife and knew i could not let her down by ducking out if i needed to. Im bad in cars (dont drive, always a passenger) and as the coffin was pulled by horses the journey to the church took for ever. thats the worst ive had recently but even last week i got the usual need the toilet feeling when we walked to a local shop to look for a carpet. In the end i left the shop saying it was too expensive just to get out, the moment i was on the way home again th feeling dissapeared. like it always does.

I have also just come off the phone to my doctors surgery where i now have an appointment tomorrow with a different doctor. Ive a feeling he will just say that as the other doctor usually sees me he is reluctant to prescribe or arrange anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information