Thread: panic without palpitations? mini pa's?

panic without palpitations? mini pa's?

Does anyone know if its possible to get some sort of panic attack without the heart/adrenaline symptoms. I am on propranalol which controls my heartbeat to some extent, although in my present anxiety state I have felt pounding. I feel rotten in other ways and seem to have mini waves of tingling, uneasiness, feeling I'm going to faint, feelings of doom, heaving/gagging, almost like a full blown attack is trying to break thro. I think propranalol which is a beta blocker only stops the action of adrenaline on the heart. I even have new constant symptoms, as aching twitching legs constantly. Has anyone else had this, could it be recurring mini pa's?

Re: panic without palpitations? mini pa's?

Hi there,
    This is my first post here and I really look forward to looking through the forums.
    I have suffered panic attacks since I was 12 (I'm now 50!). Last week I visited the doctor with palpitations, not the racing heart type but the skipping a beat every one in 10 or so. I saw a different doctor to my usual doctor who seemed staggered I was getting so little help with my issues but didn't want to step on my regular doctor's toes. It didn't help that I'd had a panic attack on the walk to the surgery and I was hot, trembling and sweating.
    In the end she prescribed me Propranalol which I have since taken a couple of times and I have had more or less the same experience as you. For about an hour while driving I could sense that a panic attack was trying its best to bust through. I had tingling and it was as if my hair was standing on end. I got the sense of doom and feelings of dread and depersonalisation but the tablets had kind of altered how they felt and in a way this made them worse. After over 30 years of panic attacks having one that felt different was just as scary as a regular panic attack if not moreso. I didn't get any gagging but I did feel I needed to cough a lot. Perhaps I (and you) will get used to the effect tablets over time?
    They haven't helped the palpitations however so I may need to go back to the doctors as it's been over five weeks now.

Thread Information