Thread: Citalopram reduction

Citalopram reduction

My doctor has suggested i go down from 20mg a day to 10mg a day, what can i expect side effect wise if any? any help would be great thanks!

Re: Citalopram reduction

Hi Aleman. There are quite a few people on here who have reduced. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you.

Can I ask why you are reducing?

Hey Mojo! Thanks for the reply. She wants me to reduce to start the process of eventually coming off of them.

You might experience brain zaps coming off. I had these while tapering of escitalopram and they were fairly constant for a while but if you know what they are they aren't so scary. It's really hard to explain what they feel like. A bit like jolts of electricity going through your brain, shivers, kind of. Someone else may be able to explain better!

I gather it varies from person to person - I'm reducing from 20mg to 10mg (with the goal of coming off eventually before switching to a new med) and I'm noticing headaches and mood swings, like I'll suddenly come over very low and tearful feeling.

When I came off Citalopram it was brain zaps, cotton wool heads and some dizziness. It was odd but nothing like the hell of start up but then I was much better by then.

The way I thought of brain zaps was as if a guitar string went TWANG very loudly.

Thread Information