Thread: Looking for Some Guidance

Looking for Some Guidance

I went to a concert with a friend today. All day I felt perfectly fine. As soon as I collected my keys and hopped into the car I got extremely nauseous and had a severe stomach ache. It literally came out of nowhere. I had to pull over twice because I felt like I couldn't breathe and that I was going to vomit. My head was super dizzy and I just felt like someone beat the crap out of me. By the time I got to the concert I felt like my stomach was going to explode and I ran to the bathroom. I didn't have a BM but I just never stopped feeling weak then. We were standing up at the end of the concert and my legs were like jelly. These feelings have been happening a lot recently and it scares me. To make it worse I'm leaving for a two day trip tomorrow by myself and I'm trying not to get myself worked up but I'm horrified that this is going to happen during my 2+ hour car ride. Any suggestions??

Re: Looking for Some Guidance

Panic attack.

Adrenaline kicks in with ferocity; bear in mind this is the same series of physical responses you would get if a bunch of muggers tried to kick your arse, so your body's response is immediate and savage. When there's no actual danger, you don't leap around the place fighting for your life, so the adrenaline is not burned off. You get dizziness, nausea, weakness, pounding headaches, elevated heart rate and most likely a need to use the toilet.

Panic attacks can feel horrific, unbearable, but the fact is they're about as dangerous as a ghost. You might feel it's there but it cannot do anything to you. Breathe deep and slow, from your abdomen. Tell yourself repeatedly "This is nothing more than adrenaline. My body is trying to protect me but I am in no danger. I'll be all right. I'm safe."

Don't freak out at any random thoughts or fears which occur during a panic attack. You're just looking for an explanation as to what's happening. You're going to be all right.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Thread Information