Thread: Palpitations

Palpitations

I have suffered from palpitations on and off since I can remember. Recently though when I get an attack I get a feeling in my throat that I could be sick and I also seem to want to cough all the time. Episodes are frightening and when I get them I don't want to go out until everything settles back to normal. I don't drink, don't smoke have tried just about everything to get rid of them. I've been seen by the cardiologists in the past and am booked to see another. I take beta blockers which don't seem to do anything and my GP has suggested I increase the dose as they have started waking me up during the night. I am working but struggle in case I get an episode of them whilst at work which I suppose makes me more anxious. Does anyone out there have similar symptoms?

Re: Palpitations

Hello @hopef

You sound just like me at the moment :( I am going through a week of palpitations that just don't seem to be letting up. They don't make me out of breath, but I do get the sort of sick feeling in the throat and the want/need to cough. I sometimes force myself to cough to see if it'll stop them, but so far, no success.

Have you discussed them with your doctor? I have been checked by GPs and cardios. Done a holter monitor over a weekend etc. Apparently by PVCs are ventricular, but just one of those things. Cardio has told me not to worry about them.

Annoying this is, they usually appear after I think to myself "Wow, I haven't had palpitations in a long time!" I need to stop doing that.

I do hope you start to feel better soon. Go see your doctor if you have the time

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have an appointment to see a cardiologist next week and I had the 24 hour thing done - although felt fine whilst it was done. I feel too that I have to cough all the time when I get them but it does'nt make them go away at all. Can't find anything that works to get rid of them. Info get more when I'm tired tho.

I get them too and I have echo done, stressed test, also holster and as cardio said nothing impressive .. I've been to the er line 6 times, did couple chest X-rays all normal . Now im on vacation and they have been debilitating especially at night!! It's ruining my vacation..

I went through this 20 odd years ago and eventually they went. 6weeks ago they decided to come back and I am so annoyed with myself. Had bloods, ecg all ok so doctor given me propranolol which I don't want to take as worried on side effects. Anyone else tried these. I keep telling myself to get a grip but I think that steps up the anxiety. It is such a horrible feeling and yes you feel like you want to cough. I have been using the Bach Rescue drops and I believe they help. You feel like you are going mad trying to solve these don't you, but I think that again steps up the anxiety. I wish I knew what causes these as everything can be great and then bham, how to make you feel so down. Great to read any advice. X

Hi do you check your pulse/ mine deff misses a beat-gap. is this serious.

I do take my pulse and can feel the gap and thud but the coughing seems to be constant at the moment. I saw my cardiologist who recommended magnesium taurate which I have just started taking (2 days ago) but have not seen any change yet.

Yep, I've had palps forever. Having some rn acutally. Its so hard to convince oneself that it's all in our heads :(

Thread Information