Thread: any one get anxiety attacks while sleeping

any one get anxiety attacks while sleeping

getting woken by a panic attack is very frighting ,it can stay with you for days , its bad enough having beethem when not sleeping ,you wake up with pain or discomfort in you chest you heart racing it drives me into total panic I suffer from severe anxiety very bad over last year getting all sorts of bad thoughts like I have a heart problem been to hospital 5 times all tests clear just wanted to know is any one going through the same awful illness thanks rodds

Re: any one get anxiety attacks while sleeping

I get this, too. I wake up in sheer terror with severe depersonalisation and a racing heart. It's very easy to start thinking that you're physically ill, when in actual fact, you're suffering from anxiety, and the symptoms you feel are just anxiety symptoms.
    I hope you find comfort in the knowledge that what you're going through is very common, and that nobody has ever died or gone insane from a panic attack. Anxiety is manageable and curable, you just need to find an approach to it that works best for you and then go after it full force!!! Attack!!

I've had a few of these and they are very unpleasant!

I had one of these last night! woke up and my heart was pounding, had to sit up for a good hour to calm myself down :(

Yep, I used to have this very badly when I was fist diagnosed with GAD/panic disorder. I still occasionally get this, especially when I am having a stressful time, but thankfully not as often.

I had a mental breakdown in 2003, and I would wake during the night with nail marks in my palms from clenching in my sleep, sweat dripping off of me and a racing heart. It is the weirdest and most frightening thing to experience, as normally when we wake up, we are drowsy, relaxed, dopey and spaced out, so waking like that - on high alert - is horrible.

This will get better for you. It is simply a symptom of an overly anxious, guarded mind. x
    Last edited by debs71; 01-07-16 at 00:13.

Yes your not alone I get it at night too. It's called nocturnal panic attacks it comes from to much stress from durning the day but not always. Lately I've been getting them this past week bc I have a lot going on. There very scary my heart starts racing like I ran up the stairs twice and I start to sweat and shake lasts me about 10-15 min sometimes less I just try to breath and say " anxiety is not dangerous anxiety can not hurt you it's a nuniance and no more" are you taking any meds?

Thread Information