Thread: Help 😞

Unhappy Help 😞

Hi guys , I would really appreciate any words to try and calm me out of this one.
    I am getting my self into a state about things that are so stupid nearly every day now and it is exhausting me.
    Today while driving home along a narrow street with parked cars on both sides I remember looking at one car and thinking be careful your very close BUT NOTHING HAPPENED, got through fine and got home. About 2 hours later I have wound myself up so much by thinking maybe I did hit the other car and just didn't feel or hear anything and even had to drive back down there to sit and look at the car for a moment just to make sure there was no damage , and of course there wasn't because I hadn't touched it 😂
    I know this sounds so ridiculously stupid but I have now convinced myself I am going to be getting a call from car insurance which is insane because I didn't do anything 😭😭😭
    I really don't know how to get out of feeling like this 😭

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

I am aware that the post probably makes no sense what so ever �� sorry

Re: Help 😞

Hi Becca, this sounds like a typical OCD symptom to me. Many people with OCD have repetitive intrusive thoughts such as that they've hit a cyclist with their car or that they may push someone in front of a train etc. The fact that you've gone back to check everything is ok is the compulsion, which acts to soothe your fear (or the obsessive thought).

What other recent incidents have you had? Have they involved repetitive thoughts that you've felt the desire to "check" or "count" or anything similar? Have you been diagnosed with a particular mental health issue?

I'm not saying you've defo got OCD as this may by an isolated incident or episode, but it may be worth looking at the OCD pages on here and seeing if things resonate.

Sounds like anxiety/ocd, I know where you're coming from.

Thanks for your reply, I agree that there is probably some OCD with the anxieties. I was on Propranalol from gp but have never been properly diagnosed because I hate talking about it but that's just making it worse I think.
    From what I have read online I think I have a mix of general anxiety and social anxiety.
    The Propranalol didn't seem to make any difference so stopped taking them after a few months :-/

Thread Information