Thread: Ambulance Accuracy

Ambulance Accuracy

I am curious, how accurate are their machines, especially for oxygen? I posted recently about a finger monitor reading nice, except when I talked it went down, but then came right back up. Also it was steady 99, and it hit 100 at hospital after switching fingers mid-check where it hit a weird number and still read varying things swinging in the air. But the ambulance, the oxygen would stick 97-99 then it'd keep going low, then back up, then low, then back up. They told me that was inaccurate and likely from my hyperventilation, and moving around in a vehicle. My curiosity is if I can say 97-100 is accurate. Does oxygen go up and down like that, or would that be a matter just the ride with an ambulance? I think it's one of the only times they kept the sp02 on me the whole time. Doctor test came back with 6% under the threshold for CO2. Does this all point to hyperventilation and not a problem breathing? Sorry if it is somewhat a repeat question but, I just get kind of finnicky with the machines.

Re: Ambulance Accuracy

Levels can vary machine to machine, minute to minute and be different depending on the finger used. The bottom line is your readings were all within normal range, you're fine and had a bad anxiety attack based on what you've just posted.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There was kind of a 79 at hospital when I switched up fingers mid-reading (likely my fault, because it then started to shoot everywhere even while off my finger), and the ambulance one kept dropping to 92 then 88, then moving right back up, then rinse repeat. I just feel meh about it all. When it fell off and they put it on a new finger, 99, then it fluctuated again after a bit. Maybe it really is the equipment in a moving vehicle.

SATS probes are super sensitive. Any kind of movement takes them off track.

They are VERY aacurate....except when patients don't do as asked, which is to keep their fingers still, preferably resting on their knee or other stable surface when they are being monitored. If the probe is velcroed around their finger, or clipped on for an extended period of time, movement will have to be expected, but this means that the reading of course will be affected. The most accurate way to measure and get some consistent picture is with the finger perfecty still for a few minutes.

Oxygen percetages NATURALLY goes up and down, the difference is that we don't even know it is occuring, so don't get fixated on it. Only when a monitor is attached do (particularly) anxious people start latching on to what it is doing.

The proof is in the pudding....it is about the bigger picture and how you FEEL, not purely what a machine says.

Monitors are both a blessing and a curse, and I personally think - in anxious patients - more of a curse.

Exactly what debs says. If used correctly as in keep very still and no talking then they are accurate but slightest movement and they are not accurate.

You are obsessing about something that you really really don't have to worry about.

That's what they basically said about moving I think. In any case, I was told it can be down then up when talking as well. After 11-12 visits this year, they said they are sure it's not any of my craziest worries, like PE, COPD, heart, head... But why can I barely believe this? The bloody phlegm seems to have shot me back into my old panic habits after I was doing better...

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    That's what they basically said about moving I think. In any case, I was told it can be down then up when talking as well. After 11-12 visits this year, they said they are sure it's not any of my craziest worries, like PE, COPD, heart, head... But why can I barely believe this? The bloody phlegm seems to have shot me back into my old panic habits after I was doing better...
    Also, my blood count made it look like I was anemic, but I'm guessing I'm not? The doctor didn't say anything about it. Unless 2-3% under count is normal. My CO2 was 6% under which, someone correct me if I'm getting this different, usually happens with hyperventilation and not with the things I worry about?

Thread Information