Thread: Heart Attack

Heart Attack

When I start to feel a panic attack coming on I feel as if I am having a heart attack. Is This normal? I mean almost every day I have fears of leaving my family behind. Help!

Hi Caspian!

A panic attack can be very scary and I remember thinking I was having a heart attack when they first struck me. My chest was tight, I felt dizzy and sick, my vision was blurred and my heart was thumping so wildly and quickly I thought my chest was going to explode! Further attacks were quite mild but I still have quite a few that are exactly like that first one.
    I find crouching down whilst breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth in long slow breaths sometimes helps. Other times I have to just go along with the attack especially if its one thats taken me by suprise!

There are plently of people here who suffer panic attacks and even though a large amount of symptoms are the same, it can affect each of us in an individual way.

You will find plenty of support and advice here!

Good luck

Minny...xxx

Hi Caspian ,

Welcome - thinking and feeling like you are going to have a heart attack is extremely common.

Have you ever had angina or a heart attack before ?

If not , have you visited your doctor and had an EKG which will clearly show if you are at risk of severe cardiac disease ..

Providing all those are clear -then what you're feeling is simply that - feelings associated by your thoughts to a possible heart attack as that is the only possible explanation your mind can come up with .

I'm guessing that you may feel dizzy and have some chest pain.

The reality is that your chest muscles are becoming taut in preparation for flight and you may be feeling dizzy as your blood chemicals may be temporaily out of whack ...

Do some exercise when this comes on, try to have a good burp and do some stretches etc and up and down stairs etc and it will soon pass.

Please do post about any other symptoms and fears and start a thread in 'introductions' telling us abit more about yourself if you'd like to.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

hi Caspian,

I feel like that all the time - I used to get so scared but I have got used to the feeling now. The best way to deal with it is just be trying to distract yourself and ignoring it.

Sarah

Yes I have had an EKG but my results aren't back yet. In fact I just took off a holter monitor this morning. Thanks for your help I really needed it.

hiya

i hope the test results show that ur ok

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

Hi Caspian

Not a good feeling i know mate but qiute common cant recall how many times i have felt like that and worried myself so much.

You will be okay mate , tests will reassure you.

Scarey how a mental illness can become so physical isnt it?

Love Sal xxxxx

hi caspian
    we have all ben there mate its a irrational thought that goes hand in hand with anxiety. i know its scary and feels so real but if your gp or hospital has given you the all clear then your not going to have a heart attack. i was admitted to hospital two years ago when i also thought i was going to have a heart attack. thankfully it was a panic attack, although not pleasent at the time, i was relieved to find my heart was perfect and i have to say nursing staff and doctors these days are very sympathetic to anxiety suffers and take are syptoms very seriously
    have you spoken to your gp? he might be able to put your mind at rest
    take care mate
    david

Thread Information