Thread: What does your gastritis feel like?

What does your gastritis feel like?

For those who have had gastritis (I myself had two bouts of it), I just want to know what your pain feels like.

I think I am having a third flare and I am worried I have given myself something bad by constantly stressing.

Previously I had been diagnosed twice via endoscopy and my symptoms were bloated stomach, full feeling, constant burping and generally unable to stomach food - I had occasional burning / acid / lump in throat. The first time was mild gastritis, second time moderate but no one seemed concerned just told me to stress less. I wasn't even given meds.

This time feels a little different so I am not sure. I am getting pain and it was what it started with. It was like a prickly scratchy feeling on the inside of my upper stomach (towards the left) between the ribs. I would burp and then it would get rid of it for a few days - then it started happening more often and then I started getting burning. I still have a great appetite though and except for bloating once in a while I am fine. I tried one week of Somac (which is a PPI i think) but if anything it made me worse, pains to the back on the left and right and just general sick feeling so I stopped it and seemed better. But the prickly cutting feeling comes and goes once or twice a day - also I have a more dull pain that comes and go but hangs around a bit more around the bottom of my ribs. I feel well otherwise. It has been almost a month of feeling like this and I have generally been dealing with this quite well or better than I otherwise would have.

I am going to be patient because my last bout of gastritis lasted months ... but because of the pain this time I am worried (I was stressed pretty much all of this year from the start of the year due to health anxiety and had minor surgery as well).

So long story short, those of you who had gastritis ... if you had pain can you please help me out by letting me know if it feels cutting / prickly / dull / burning. Does it come and go. How long did it last and what your experience was like generally.

Thank you.

Re: What does your gastritis feel like?

Hi,

I had gastritis a few years ago. It is a condition that I REALLY don't want to experience again, so I do sympathise with you.

Mine was never formally diagnosed from an endoscopy, but I saw a very experienced doctor who listened to my stomach with a stethoscope, asked a ton of questions and diagnosed me with gastritis and a possible ulcer.

The pain I had was unlike anything I had felt before. It was a mix of a burning ache which would come and go, right beneath my ribcage, just to the left of my middle chest, plus a constant nagging, pain in the same area, 24/7. I also kept burping all day long. I would also get typical acid reflux symptoms.

For me the worst pain was the all day, nagging pain. It was so painful and debilitating. I had to use a heat pad to get any kind of sense of relief and sleep.

I was also scared to eat, watching every little thing that I chose to eat, in case it may make my symptoms worst, and my appetite reduced hugely.

What eventually worked for me was months of Pantoprazole 40mg, twice daily and an antacid (one of the sachet ones you can swallow after every meal)

I hope this helps and I truly wish you better soon. x

Thanks, Debs71. I don't know if this is what I have ... I have made an appointment with a GP tomorrow. I really don't want another gastroscopy because it freaks me out and I get super anxious.

What was your nagging pain like? What is a dull throbbing bruise like pain or a sharp cutting type of pain? I have the burning ache as well which I put down to reflux...thanks for replying.

If anyone else has had gastritis, it would be helpful if you can describe the type of pain you have had too and how long it lasts. Trying to stay rational

No problem at all.

My pain was a bit of a mix. Sometimes burning and sharp, but the nagging pain was just as you describe, like a throbbing, deep, bruise like pain that nagged 24/7.

I was really confused at first, as I suffer from IBS, which can cause the belching and reflux symptoms, so I tried every IBS med under the sun at first, with no relief. It was only when I saw this good doctor that I was told it was gastritis.

My pain woke me at night and was a griping, gnawing type pain. Lots of stomach noises which really hurt. Food actually helped to relieve the pain. I was given a month's worth of PPIs (lansoprazole) which helped clear things up. I had a test for h.pylori which was negative. It's best to get tested for this bacteria as it can cause gastritis/ulcers. I've been on an alkaline diet ever since and this seems to help and I've only taken PPIs for a month as I didn't want to get rebound symptoms on withdrawal which can happen (and is admitted by GPs).

I hope your GP is able to help you get better.

Thanks both. I went and saw a GP today and he wonders if it is my gallbladder so sending me for an ultrasound. He also wants me to do the h.pylori breath test.

I said since I had a gastroscopy three years ago he wasn't in a rush to repeat it and he didn't seem too worried. But I wonder. I asked him if it were gastritis would it last this long and he said it can. Though he seems to think gastritis is mainly caused by the bacteria or pain meds (which I don't use).

I'm trying to stay relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by dee_gril View Post
    Thanks both. I went and saw a GP today and he wonders if it is my gallbladder so sending me for an ultrasound. He also wants me to do the h.pylori breath test.

I said since I had a gastroscopy three years ago he wasn't in a rush to repeat it and he didn't seem too worried. But I wonder. I asked him if it were gastritis would it last this long and he said it can. Though he seems to think gastritis is mainly caused by the bacteria or pain meds (which I don't use).

I'm trying to stay relaxed.
    Hi did u go for your scan??

Hi Lemondrizzle

Yes I went for my scan. They gave me a whole abdomen scan (upper) included my kidneys, pancreas, gallbladder, spleen and everything was normal and clear. I guess they can't really ultrasound the stomach though as you can't see anything. I also had my H.pylori breath test which was negative.

I had a couple of days where I felt better but now I am still having pain and not getting any better. I just started Famotidine (I think it's kind of like pepcid) two days ago but I am still having pain usually once or twice a day. It has changed to a somewhat stabbing twisting pain in my abdomen but doesn't last very long. I also get bloated and feel a bit nauseous - indigestion I suppose. The doctor told me to keep on medication for a few weeks to see if it helps. Said it could be inflammation or an ulcer. I have been calm about it for the past month and a half but now I am starting to get anxious about it and I am sure that's not going to help it. Starting to get a bit of constipation now (not sure if it's the Famotidine).

Just wondering if others have had similar issues - and if this persistance is normal. This pain thing is new as my previous bouts of gastritis have just been me being really bloated and uncomfortable and unable to eat.

A friend of mine was diganosed a couple of months ago with lymphoma of the stomach (stage 1 thank god) and like magic my stomach trouble started in earnest (though for a few weeks prior I have been having a prickle feeling in the same spot but I would burp and it would go away) plus I have had a horrible year from January onwards with health anxiety and going through a minor operation so I have been pretty stressed. But still ... anyone with similar experience to my tummy issues would be helpful. I am resisting the urge to give into this anxiety but it's getting harder day by day and I am getting depressed about it now :(

Hi, I have the same pains and feelings for just over two months now and the first doctor said maybe I pulled some thing and the 2nd doctor gave me Mebeverine for the pain,as I suffer with ibs too, which seemd to help a bit but not so much now.
    Had blood tests for salts, what ever that means but that come back negative.

Been to the doctors twice with a very painful buring in the left side of my stomach and prickly/pins and needles feeling and a dull pain with it too. It went away but still had some slight pain and burning but now it seems to be getting worse.
    Too scared to take iburofen in case it maybe an ulcer. I need to get back to the doctors again to get something done as I can't go on like this it's worry me mad :/

Could this be gastritis?
    Last edited by OverThinker21; 08-11-21 at 00:14.

Sounds like what I had. Every year I have it. Mine from having a few drinks and Advil. I took for pain and the combo of both caused it. Good luck. I feel for you! Take care.

Thread Information