Thread: Feeing the Fear in abundance

Feeing the Fear in abundance

I've just completed my degree at the age of 40 and been accepted onto a Masters. However, I have days where I feel paralysed with fear and think I can't go through with it. Other days I feel empowered but I'm so scared I'll back out of it due to my immense fear.

My degree was with the OU so it was distance learning. This is at a brick uni. I'm great around people and usually the chattiest one in the room (people still can't believe I suffer with such great anxiety) but my days lead me into a spiral that I can't get out of. I just fear it all so much. The thought of going to uni, getting a job afterwards..

I've also been accepted to do some voluntary work and although I've been through the recruitment etc, I'll be terrified on my first day of training.

I'm aware that what I have is an anticipation anxiety. Does anyone know how to get through this as I've tried everything from distractions to meditation and nothing works. The dread is just so great. I know I'll get through it, I always do but it's just getting too much now, this constant anticipation dread.

Thanks guys

Re: Feeing the Fear in abundance

Hi there,

I learnt a very interesting technique, it is not by trying to overcome the feeling but by simply not attaching 'anxious' thoughts to the feeling itself. Instead I now try to feel the way I'm feeling fully but I tell myself that I am exited instead, my nervous feelings are still present but my anxiety is greatly reduced as a result. Because if you notice excitement and anxiety bring almost identical physiological results but the thoughts that accompany it are very different!

Hope all goes well for you !

xxx

Re: Feeing the Fear in abundance

Quote Originally Posted by Munki View Post
    I've just completed my degree at the age of 40 and been accepted onto a Masters. However, I have days where I feel paralysed with fear and think I can't go through with it. Other days I feel empowered but I'm so scared I'll back out of it due to my immense fear.

My degree was with the OU so it was distance learning. This is at a brick uni. I'm great around people and usually the chattiest one in the room (people still can't believe I suffer with such great anxiety) but my days lead me into a spiral that I can't get out of. I just fear it all so much. The thought of going to uni, getting a job afterwards..

I've also been accepted to do some voluntary work and although I've been through the recruitment etc, I'll be terrified on my first day of training.

I'm aware that what I have is an anticipation anxiety. Does anyone know how to get through this as I've tried everything from distractions to meditation and nothing works. The dread is just so great. I know I'll get through it, I always do but it's just getting too much now, this constant anticipation dread.

Thanks guys
    Hi

Well done on getting your degree and getting accepted onto the masters. When I started University a while back I was so scared at the time but once I had been there a few days my anxiety became less and less until it went away. Most people are nervous when starting a new job or University so it's normal to feel like that. Everyone will be in the same boat. The key is that if you really want something then sometimes you have to try and force yourself to go through it. Voluntary work is a great way to add work experience to your CV as well as giving you good experience about the world of working. When the sense of fear and dread comes to you just keep telling yourself it's your anxiety that's making you feel like this. Unfortunately anxiety can stop people from doing what they actually want us to do due to the horrible way it make's us feel. However the way to overcome it and for us not to let it win is to do what we want to do with our lives rather than what anxiety wants us to do which is to quit.

Good luck with your masters and all the best

Thread Information