Thread: Propranolol and heart palpitations.

Propranolol and heart palpitations.

Hi, was just after some advice/info. I've suffered from palps/flutters etc for 3 years on/off. I've had GAD for ever. It's a lot better these days. My problem is my palpitations have gotten a whole lot stronger and worse. I ended up in A&E Saturday after a bad lot and racing heart. Was in there an hour, first ecg was a bit fast second was "perfect". Blood work a few weeks ago showed up fine too. I have an echo booked for sept and 24hr holter in Aug.. I went to gp on Monday who wants me to finally give in and realise it's Nothing serious. She wants me to start on 10mg propranolol. I have literally stared at it since yesterday but too scared to take them! I'm worried as my heart sits at around 77bpm and I'm scared it's going to slow my heart down too much. Any advice/experience would be appreciated xx

Re: Propranolol and heart palpitations.

I take around 60mg per day - don't know how I'd cope without it regarding palpitations etc. Originally was prescribed 120mg/day and it slowed my heart too much (40bpm) but it's not so bad as it has such a short half life the effects don't last long. 10mg is unlikely to be problematic - I eat them like sweets (as required) .

Re: Propranolol and heart palpitations.

I was originally prescribed 40 mg twice daily, but I felt like it slowed my heart rate too much. I tend to feel palps when my rate is slower so I decreased my dose.

I am taking only 10 mg in the evening. Seems to help, though it may all be psychological because that is such a low dose as compared to what others may be on. I just feel like I am sensitive to beta-blockers. 10 mg is a very low, great starting dose.

Thread Information