Thread: I think I had my first out-of-the-blue panic attack yesterday

Unhappy I think I had my first out-of-the-blue panic attack yesterday

So, obviously I suffer from anxiety and sometimes depression when my anxiety gets out of control. I have had panic attacks previously where I will get lightheaded, hyperventilate, lose feeling in my arms and legs, not be able to see straight, etc. but 95% of the time it's related to feeling ill --- if I feel like vomiting is imminent I panic big time. The rest of the time it will have different triggers but it's never totally random.

Recently, I've actually been feeling pretty good. I went on vacation and had a blast. I feel like my self esteem is higher and I'm coping with my little anxiety 'blips' a lot better. Haven't had much in the way of depression symptoms in about a month and a half.

Yesterday, I woke up feeling dizzy...not uncommon for me if I sleep funny for a long period of time. I was also a little nervous about being tired (chronic fatigue syndrome is a fear of mine) but I rationalized it to being bored and spending too much time on the computer. It wasn't a moment of high anxiety at all.

After work I went to Dillard's to return my dress for my brother's wedding for a smaller size. My mom was with me and she was handling everything, I was just kind of hanging out when all of a sudden it just kind of it hit me. I started to feel nervous, but kept thinking I didn't have any reason to feel that way. I felt really dizzy, like I needed to sit down. I could still see and function but I had to fight really hard to do so. I had to put my hand on my mom's shoulder to walk straight. Afterward I felt really shaky.

I don't know if:
    A) This is a symptom of something larger or if I just caught a bug (lots of people around me have colds)

or

B) This was a panic attack and now I'm going to start getting these out of the blue and I'm not sure how to cope with that.

Really not sure what would be worse but I'm feeling really low today.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: I think I had my first out-of-the-blue panic attack yesterday

Hi Poppy.

Thank you for sharing your story, I can certainly relate to alot of what you have experienced.

Most of my anxiety attacks happen when im in super markets or something similar.

Unfortunately for some people including myself anxiety can strike at any time something which took me a long time to get my head around as surely you would think that anxiety attacks would strike when your worried or scared about something? But thats simply not the case infact for me its very random.

Are you currently taking any medication for anxiety? Maybe something to consider or speak to your dotor about counselling or CBT therapy, doesnt work for everyone but everyone is different I suppose.

This site is full of useful information into helping you deal with the attacks and what I have found in the past is talking about it with someone who understands what your going through really helps and there is plenty of people on here who will have expereinced what your going through.

Good luck on your journey and if you need any help along the way then please reply and either myself or someone will offer our best support.

Brez

Thanks, Brez.

I'm currently on Lexapro and Clonazepam. I'm also seeing a therapist who is...okay. I previously saw a really great therapist who did some CBT with me. My therapist now likes to talk a lot about my story, which is helpful, but sometimes she phrases things funny. It's hard to explain. I'll definitely bring up the panic attack with her today, though.

It was just so out of the blue. I've never had them be so random before. I was out with my friends the other night and told one of my friends about it, she'd had a panic attack during an exam once and actually passed out. She was very sympathetic.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Hi Poppy,

For me my anxiety has always been random as I have GAD where other people have anxiety over a specific thing whether it be a fear or phobia mine just comes on for no reason at all which is very frustrating.

Hopefully your anxiety out of the blue will be a one off and wont happen again but yes definatley worth speaking to your therapist about it.

I understand how scary it is when they just come on like that, I got diagnosed 11 years ago and for the first two years they just came on for no reason what so ever like at home relaxing whatching tv or the worst one which is happening to me again now when your asleep.

Atleast when you have a specific phobia and related anxiety you can prepare yourself and try to keep calm.

If you dont mind could you let me know what your therapist says about it id be really interested to know. I am on a long waiting list for my therapy so just interested to know what they are likely to say.

Hope today is better for you.

Brez

Thread Information