Thread: Mole excision in 3 days time, v worried

Question Mole excision in 3 days time, v worried

Hello everyone,
    First post here so here goes.
    I have what I think is a mole on my lower back that has been itchy on and off for the past 5 years or so. I went to my GP 5 years ago, she measured it and said its nothing to worry about. Since then and up until about a month ago it was itchy maybe once or twice every other day. If I put the shower spray on it in the morning the itch would go away, that kind of itch. Last month the itch was a little more. I went back to the GP, different doctor who saw my visit on the records 5 years ago, measured the mole and said it hasn't grown at all and it is fine. I said I would like a referral anyway as the itch was driving me a little mad.
    When I got to the dermatologist, he said it was a little crusty, he doesn't think it's melanoma as its one colour but we'll take it out anyway. Safe to say, since then I have been terrified. The sensation I would describe now is itchy/burning but the mole itself looks normal to me. It's a little raised (not sure if it always has been) but is symmetrical and brown. The dermatologist said there could be a little eczema around the mole?
    What I keep thinking to myself is the itch for 5 years a good sign? Please help me put my mind at ease, my excision is on Tuesday.
    Thanks very much for any replies.
    Tony

Re: Mole excision in 3 days time, v worried

Tony don't worry friend. You don't have cancer. They're just being cautious, which is what you want. Go have it done and ease your mind. Everything you describe is common. Doctors can tell just by looking at it. My dad went to the docs for a check up and the doctor saw a mole on his back and immediately said Whoa! He sent him right away for a bio and it was melanoma...they cut it out and he is fine.

My point is just by looking at it the doctor can tell if it's of serious concern. And that's not the case with you. Rest easy.

N.

Hi N, thank you. Right now it feels like my lower back is burning and it's hot to touch. The itching seems to be playing second now to the burning. Has there been any previous guys on here with a similar duration of itch and any similar feelings I've described? What could the itch and now burning feeling be? Any ideas?

Definitely! Burning skin is very common with HA. Got it a lot when I had my anxiety.

Sorry N, excuse my noviceness! What's HA?

No problem. It's short for Health Anxiety.

Hi everyone, just to say I had the mole taken out earlier today. I asked the derm before he started what he thought, he said it looks less crusty than before so I pushed him for an answer he said he thinks it's a benign lesion, not cancerous but you can never speculate.
    The excision was fine, only sharp bit was the needle. I heard the derm say to the nurse get me an 8mm something? The excision itself felt like a 'punch' if that makes sense to anyone? Rather than an actual cut.
    Anyways, I feel a bit better now, the itching seems to be absent currently, I can't lay on my back but I can live with that for a couple of days, even in 100f heat in the UK!
    Go back week today 9.30am for the results.

Just a quick note to say the biopsy came back benign and was seborrhoeic keratosis. Dermatologist said unusual to just get one and even more unusual to see one perfectly round so was right to just remove it.
    So relieved right now.

Thread Information