Thread: How do you motivate yourself?

How do you motivate yourself?

I withdrew my medication three days ago, and have since been trying to get back to the way things used to be anxiety-wise. I seem to be experiencing more panic attacks than usual, and even going to the front door is challenging. I'm just wondering how you guys motivate yourselves to go out? Does the desire to be outside and/or see people override the anxiety?

Re: How do you motivate yourself?

Hi ana.
    I get motivated to go outside to feed my dogs and other critters,if I don't the poor things would starve,the kids are lazy,(well so am I)but once I am outside and look around I quite enjoy it,with these beautiful winter days I am loving it..

I understand, and that makes sense. Having someone else, like a pet, depend on you makes it 'less about you', and leaves anxiety less room to go wild. Thank you for your reply.

Hi ana
    How are you,hope your panic attacks have eased up and you have managed to go outside.I have been sitting in the sun with kids and dogs it has been a lovely day here.

Karina

Hi Karina, thank you for asking and for caring.
    Sadly, I've been having a bad couple of days, and have been taking sedatives again, but hopefully I won't feel the need to take anything tomorrow. *crosses fingers*
    I'm still exposing myself to being outside gradually. This morning, I braved going to the mailbox without talking to someone on the phone (I need distractions!). It's so hot here (30+ degrees) which isn't making things any easier. I'm hopeful I'll get back to the way things were quite soon, though.
    I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your day. Do you also struggle going long distances and/or staying our for too long?

In my early days of panic I used to have trouble going outside,but because I a single mum with children i had to push myself to do it,there is no bus service here to take the young ones to school somehow I managed to be able to drive some days were scary.I remember one day having a full blown panic attack on my way home,so I had to pull over and I sat in the car until I felt safe to drive.My Therapist taught me how to do Breathing Techniques to calm down so now if I am out somewhere and feel light headed I sit down and do the breathing.
    I am sorry you are having a bad time, I do hope you start to feel better soon.

Thank you for sharing your story. I can't imagine the level of discipline and self-control it must have taken for you to get to this stage now. Could you tell me about the breathing technique you do?
    My therapist has done the same, taught me to inhale whilst ballooning out my belly to the count of 22...23...24, hold the breath, and then exhale to the same count.

I'm feeling slightly better, thank you. I didn't take a sedative today, so I'm trying my best to keep busy and to stay occupied.

Thread Information