Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has helped you the most?

What has helped you the most?

Hiya guys,

Was thinking today about what help I've received for my anxiety, panic attacks and depression etc.

Just wondered what you feel has helped you the most out of the help you have had?

During the time that I have had the anxiety etc, I have seen loads of people to try and help.

• I started off just talking to my GP, who I started seeing once a week, but I see her every 2 weeks now. She has been in my life throughout this whole thing.
    • I began seeing a psychiatrist a few months after I started talking to my GP. I seen him for 6 months.
    • I had a CPN, who was meant to work through everything with me, and she worked along with the psychiatrist. However, I only seen her 3 or 4 times, as I couldn't work with her as I totally couldn't relate to her at all, and I was scared to mention some things to her as she was so unapproachable.
    • I began getting counselling a couple of months after I had started seeing the psychiatrist. I got counselling for 4 months.
    • I started college shortly after I stopped seeing the psychiatrist and counsellor, but struggled with college. So I began seeing the college counsellor, who was also a psychotherapist. I seen him for 6 weeks, however in that 6 weeks I became very attached to him, and had to have a 3 month break.
    • Left college.
    • In December just passed I started seeing a psychologist to get CBT, I only have 2 sessions left with him now. Then I will be discharged from the service.
    • On Friday, I started seeing my college counsellor again, but I'm not at college anymore so I see him privately. He is going to be doing psychotherapy work with me now, and counselling.

So, as you can see I have seen a few people. However, the problem is I have had no continuity. The people I have been seeing have stayed with me for a while, and then I've had to see someone else. This hasn't helped me as it feels like I get to trust people and then they leave. No-one has stayed with me until I'm better. My GP has been there the whole time, but not for therapy, she gives me support which I'm very thankful for. Has anyone else felt like this?

Now that I'm seeing my therapist again, I hope he is going to stay for the duration. He says that I need good long term support, and I will be seeing him for no less than 2 years.

I feel the counselling and psychotherapy stuff he done with me for the intense 6 weeks (I was seeing him 3 times a week for 6 weeks) before the break really helped me. I seen a difference in myself after having seen him. I didn't see a difference at all after seeing the psychiatrist, or my last counsellor. It really shows you that it's a case of finding the right treatment for you?

I feel the help and support I have had and am going to be getting from him have helped me the most. I just wish I had seen him right at the very beginning of it all. The CBT has helped me too. However, I feel the help from him is the right thing for me.

What are your experiences and what have helped you?

Re: What has helped you the most?

Hi , I have had cbt, and I was told its important not to be attached to seeing the same person for too long. The best thing Ive ever had was to meet people who understand what i am going thru, people who have been there.

To be understood is the best medicine.

Hi Mirry,

Yes I totally agree with you about talking to people who have been through it. That has helped me so much, just knowing that your not alone and that people truly understand

I have major attachment issues, which will definitely play a part in my feelings of people abandoning me. I just don't want to get too attached to my therapist (well I already am, but don't want to get any more attached). I'm thinking that maybe for me to overcome these issues I need to get attached and then become unattached maybe? Not sure, but I have a lot of issues I need to work on, and hope that this therapy works.

Hi Louise,

you've had quite a journey eh? Good on you for persevering until you found the help that was right for you.

At the beginning I saw my GP fortnightly and he referred me for counselling. I really 'connected' with my counsellor and saw her for a year, though not constantly, there were a couple of spells of maybe a month or so when I didnt see her. She then moved on to another post and I was devastated ...think I relied on her too much.

Since then Ive begun seeing a psychologist and I have to say what he says makes perfect sense (I think) though I do find it intensely painful going over things from my past in such detail and I have felt worse for a while, but hopefully this will pass and I'll start to feel better soon.

I must admit I'm really scared that if this doesnt work maybe nothing will and I'll have to accept that the problem is me. I also get really scared about the end of treatment, like it will be like losing another support. Maybe this is normal? Or am I too attached again.

I have also found this site a great help....to know your not alone is great as I find it hard to be open and honest with people who are close to me.

Good luck with your therapy and let me know how it goes.

Coni X

hi.. my list is

* talked to doctor - turned down medication

* went on anxiety management course

* had CBT (had about 12 sessions, think this could've been a lot more effective but she wasn't very good, i did a lot of talking and didnt get much advice back)

* had counsilling (wasn't very good, think she just thought i was a silly little girl who needed to get a grip)

* had spiritual healing

* tried bach flower remedies

* had reiki

* homeopathy

* finally tried a course of anti depressants (had an allergic reaction to them, not tried meds again and wont)

* hypnotherapy

* read a lot of books

* now i've given up and taken to vodka (definatly the best by far)... only joking!!! ..... its gin.... ha. no, i really am joking

think everything has helped in its own way although nothing has really worked long term... really believe homeopathy is good but its hard to get the right remedy since panic attacks are so complex, hypnotherapy was great and i always left feeling amazing and a lot more confident but it never lasted... spiritual healing was the best thing i had, a bit 'far out mann' but really made a massive improvement, think reading up on the subject is really good idea, after everything combined my general level of anxiety is pretty low just need to get over my agoraphobia but think thge best thing for that would be to get in touch with a cognative behavioural thepapist..

Hi Coni,

Yes quite a journey LOL

Do you find you get quite attached to your counsellor etc too? I really do get so attached, and it can be so exhausting

It's good that you are seeing the psychologist, and what he says makes sense I too find it very hard to go over things that are very painful memories, or things that are going on for me just now. Try not to worry about that too much, as you will have your good days and bad days in therapy. I do believe in the long term it helps however. It is very hard talking about things that are upsetting, however, once you talk about them, make sense of them and work through them it should help. Hang in there, you're doing well I'm sure you will feel better soon, your mind just needs some time to work everything out. Let me know how it's going?

I worry about the same things as you - I put everything into the work with the psychologist, I really thought that was my last resort, but it wasn't, and neither would it be for you. However, instead of thinking that if it doesn't work for you, think about achievements that you are making. Set yourself some small, realistic goals to begin with, and work through them Just take one step at a time. Things will get better for you.

I could pick out something that was wrong with everyone I have worked with, and I really believed that was why the help wasn't working. It's only recently that I've realised maybe it wasn't them, and that it was actually me LOL But now I can start working through the real issues that I have. You just need to find what the best help is for you, sounds like the psychologist can help

I'm terrified about ending the treatment too, however, when you think about it when the end of treatment comes we will be in a different place from what we are now, and won't need the support that we are getting - that's what to aim for I think it's quite normal to get attached in therapy as you are trusting people with things you maybe can't tell anyone else? The extent to which I get attached is one of my issues though, so I need to work on that. But I'm sure everyone will get attached in therapy to a certain extent.

I love this site - I don't get any support or understanding from my family or friends. Mostly because they haven't been through it themselves and don't know how to deal with me at times. But people on here do understand, that helps a lot

Keep in touch

Hi Honeybee,

Wow, you've had quite a journey too

I think you're right about everything having helped in it's own way. Maybe a combination of things is good i.e. counselling, reading, homeopathy etc etc.

I'm really glad after everything you have tried your level of anxiety is low - thats really good Shows it all works

Good luck with your agoraphobia, and I think you're right about getting CBT for that. Good for you, hang in there, you're doing well Keep us updated

Here's mine (over about 9 months, since I finally sought help):

1st GP - Got put on Prozac after 2 appointments, had a bad reaction.

2nd GP - Changed to Citalopram, put on waiting list for counselling.

Counsellor - Made me a lot worse and dredged up loads of stuff from my past, didn't really get on with her so didn't fully open up, but helped me better understand what was happening to me and why. Was only allowed 8 sessions with her.

CPN - Assessed me for seeing a psychiatrist, never saw her again.

Psychiatrist - Scares the heck out of me, but seems to be able to read my mind (lol). Got a proper 'diagnosis' from him and trust him. Changed to Seroxat and now Effexor.

DBT Therapist - Only had first few sessions but I think it will help if I put the effort in.

To be honest, my current GP has helped the most, just by being supportive. Of course NMP and all the caring people here has helped a huge amount, just getting the hugs, support and meeting with other people who are going through the same thing.

I'm hoping the therapy is going to help the most, but it's still early days.

I'm open to trying all the 'alternative' type therapy, but I don't have a lot of cash so I can't really afford to pay for them. :(

I think time is going to be the best healer, I just need to stop being impatient.

Jim

Hey Jim,

You too have had quite a journey! We are still here to tell our story though

I think your right Jim, time and support is the key

Your doing well, keep fighting!

Hi

you pose an interesting question there, "what has heleped you the most". In my case it was the realisation that the only person who was going to make any difference to me, was me. As soon as I realised that things changed started to change for me, I was no longer looking at negatives but positives. I started to make life happen for me not for the doctors or any one else for that matter just for me, I soon came round to thinking that life was for living not for anything else, if you like i stopped to smell the flowers. Soon I had lost the sucidal tendancies and then I started to lead a normal life. It wasnt easy, i did need help in the begining but it was still all down to me.

Reading your 'history of treatment' it seems to me that you have come to the same conclusion I came to, you are just going about it slightly differently. Good luck I know if you stick to it you will win

Keith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information