Thread: Stopped working

Stopped working

Has anyone got to a point where their citalopram has stopped working? I have been on it 12yrs at a maintenance dose of 20mg however after a recent blip I had a lot of dosage ups and downs and now I seem to be going back the way. My anxiety is back full force plus my mood is starting to decline. I'm isolating myself, crying and terrified of the anxiety that's back. My dr has given me a small dose of diazepam as I'm going to have to taper off to start something new but I'm considering seeing a psychiatrist as they are a bit more clued up on the meds.

Anyone else had pill 'poop out'?

Re: Stopped working

Hi Deb!!! I know meds can poop out after a while. Sounds like you have had a good run on the Citalopram. Maybe in increase might help or you might have to switch to a different med now. I would defiantly see a psychiatrist. I am finally seeing one on fri. My GP's have been prescribing and I don't have enough faith in them anymore for prescribing these types of meds.

I haven't been on cit as long as you, but this is my third time going on it. Its now been 15 weeks that I have been on 20mg and I feel like its doing nothing. I have a doc appt on fri and probably going to switch to a different med.

Hi Victory,

I suppose in a way I should be thankful it worked for so long. After my GP changed my dose 6 times in 8 weeks I do not trust them at all with helping me switch my medication, the increase hasn't worked like it usually does. I had to get a referral from my dr to see a psychiatrist as here in the UK I could wait for months on the NHS so I'm going to pay for it privately. I feel so unlike myself which is horrible and I just want to go back to feeling like me again!

Have you tried a few meds?

Good luck and I hope you find something that works. Keep us updated. I was on Lexapro before and that worked very well for me too the first time.

If my doctor wants to switch meds I am thinking I might try paxil or zoloft.

Have you just found they don't work for you at all or they just lose efficiency? Is your meds for anxiety only? I'm dreading the withdrawals!

I think they lost efficiency as I am not as bad as I was 3 months ago, but the first time I was on Citalopram (2013) I was anxiety and depression free by this point I am now in my 4th month. The first time I went on it was for Anxiety. This time around for anxiety and depression, but I feel like my depression is worse. No panic attacks, but still feeling a lot of anxiety.

I would not withdraw from them yet as you maybe able to switch right over to a different med or you may just have to decrease the cit as you start a new med. Wait to see what the psychiatrist says. Unless you can't get an appt soon and you feel you want to wean off do it very slowly.

I'm not brave enough to make any changes until I see the psychiatrist which should hopefully be next week. In speaking to my GP I was told I was put on it for anxiety and agoraphobia when all along I thought I was on it for depression and anxiety! So really I don't think I've had a proper diagnosis for all these years.

I'm trying to face my anxiety just now which is terrifying but I'm not sure if it'll be better in the long run learning to face it and try to cope with it. Its only after this episode after many years that I realise how little I've been supported by doctors through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debs21uk View Post
    In speaking to my GP I was told I was put on it for anxiety and agoraphobia when all along I thought I was on it for depression and anxiety! So really I don't think I've had a proper diagnosis for all these years
    This is similar to me. I was originally put on meds for post natal depression. Then an early years mental health worker and health visitor agreed (with my suggestion) that my postnatal depression was probably due to my separation from my partner at the time.
    Years later (after I'd developed health anxiety), when discussing my depression with my doctor I was asked "Who told you you had depression?", it's also been discussed in counselling that I probably have BDD.
    So although I class myself as having depression, anxiety and BDD, I don't really know what I have, never had a definite diagnosis (other than for anxiety based on panic attacks and HA).

Quote Originally Posted by Debs21uk View Post
    I'm not brave enough to make any changes until I see the psychiatrist which should hopefully be next week. In speaking to my GP I was told I was put on it for anxiety and agoraphobia when all along I thought I was on it for depression and anxiety! So really I don't think I've had a proper diagnosis for all these years.

I'm trying to face my anxiety just now which is terrifying but I'm not sure if it'll be better in the long run learning to face it and try to cope with it. Its only after this episode after many years that I realise how little I've been supported by doctors through this.
    Deb that is great that you will be able to see the psychiatrist next week. Hopefully they will get you on the right med and right diagnosis.

Keep us updated on your next steps....Hope you feel better soon

Thread Information