Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'California Rocket Fuel' Anyone else on this? Still on it?

'California Rocket Fuel' Anyone else on this? Still on it?

For those in a hurry, feel free to read only the bold!

Hello there. I've been taking a form of 'california rocket fuel' for just over three years now. In my case, it's been Mirtazapine (Remeron) and Sertraline (Zoloft).

I was in a really really bad way before my therapist suggested this crazy 'fad' of a treatment for major depressive disorder. To cut a long story short, drug induced panic disorder for months eventually became debilitating depression for more months and was seemingly resistant to treatment. I literally thought it was the end. Then along came the combination of Mirtazapine and Sertraline.

I've felt literally great the last three years.
    Never had dark thoughts and I'm always upbeat. There are no lows but also I don't really get that excited but that's fine, not a problem.

Here's the thing: I'm wondering if I can come off of them to see if I'm really alright. plus, weight gain really is a thing as is reduced libido and those side effects haven't improved since I've been on the straight and narrow.

Does anyone here have any experience with this treatment and particularly coming off of it? I'd sure love to hear it. Maybe I'm mental for even entertaining the idea of coming off of such a winning combination of treatments. Feel free to tell me that if you think so.

Thanks!

Re: 'California Rocket Fuel' Anyone else on this? Still on it?

I recently came off my mirt and cit which made me feel amazing but the weight gain was horrific! My silly dr made me with draw cold turkey and it's been the worst thing I have ever done! I have now had to start flu and going through hell on start up... But that's just my story! You might be ready to come off x

Quote Originally Posted by MardyBum View Post
    I recently came off my mirt and cit which made me feel amazing but the weight gain was horrific! My silly dr made me with draw cold turkey and it's been the worst thing I have ever done! I have now had to start flu and going through hell on start up... But that's just my story! You might be ready to come off x
    Thanks for your reply. You gained a lot of weight after coming off mirt and cit?

Anyone else have any experience of coming off of the combination of mirtazapine (remeron) + SSRI?

Thanks.

I'm on similar, Mirt and venlafaxine. The Mirt made me put on huge amounts of weight almost immediately. Maybe you could just try cutting out that one? But taper gradually?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazamataz View Post
    I'm on similar, Mirt and venlafaxine. The Mirt made me put on huge amounts of weight almost immediately. Maybe you could just try cutting out that one? But taper gradually?
    Thanks for your reply Shazamataz. Yes, me too. I put on a ton of weight. It must do something to one's metabolism or something because I really don't eat all that much but have become a kind of human blimp. I've been tapering down on Mirtazapine just this week (3 days of taking 15mg rather than my usual 30mg). Man, I'm stating to feel it. Unsettled stomach, aches. oooh boy. Gunna be fun.

How long have you been on that combination of drugs if you don't mind my asking? Has it helped?

I was on venlafaxine by itself about five years ago. I recall the withdrawals from that were literally incredible.

Hi Steve,

I started Mirt in March (30 mg) and it seemed to help for a while with the anxiety but was a mess again by June to started Venlafaxine. Still not doing great but I have a thyroid issue that may have been making things worse. Had treatment for that today (Radioactive iodine) so will see how things go over the next few weeks.

I'm keen to get off the Mirt as I feel so fat too. My idiot psychiatrist insists you can just stop it and she's never known anyone to have withdrawals. Clearly she is an idiot!

Hi Steve,

I started Mirt in March (30 mg) and it seemed to help for a while with the anxiety but was a mess again by June to started Venlafaxine. Still not doing great but I have a thyroid issue that may have been making things worse. Had treatment for that today (Radioactive iodine) so will see how things go over the next few weeks.

I'm keen to get off the Mirt as I feel so fat too. My idiot psychiatrist insists you can just stop it and she's never known anyone to have withdrawals. Clearly she is an idiot!
    Thanks for your reply. Well that's a coincidence. I have a thyroid issue also (underactive), though none of my doctor's have said anything about that interfering with the meds though some have speculated that it could have something to do with my weight gain (might not be mirtazapine's fault).

Well, I can say from first hand experience that your psychiatrist is wrong as today, despite my best efforts to ignore them, I am experiencing classic withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps she's saying that to give you a kind of psychological defense. If that's the case, hope this doesn't put you off. For the record, it's aches, bloating, nausea and anxiety and few other minor things. Nothing as bad as Venlafaxine withdrawals though.

An underactive thyroid will definitely cause weight gain. I have a 'hot' nodule which makes me overactive and am hoping it has been the cause of the extreme anxiety physical symptoms and the treatment will help.

I've read antidepressants can increase thyroid levels which may be part of why they help with depression?

I don't trust my psychiatrist any more and will just go back to the GP from now on. I will look at reducing the Mirt soon. Maybe you have reduced too fast? I'd only drop 7.5 at a time.

I was over prescribed my thyroid medication for a while making it 'overactive' and it certainly pumped up my anxiety. I think you'll feel a lot better when that's settled.

Maybe you have reduced too fast? I'd only drop 7.5 at a time.
    Yes, I think you're right. I was foolish in thinking I could just cut my dose in half.

You've been on it a fair while, Steve, I would come off it slowly if you want to minimise the withdrawal which is what the experts say:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvic...pressants.aspx

DURING
    Reduce slowly
    Research suggests:
    if treatment has lasted less than 8 weeks, stopping over 1-2 weeks should be OK
    after 6-8 months treatment, taper off*over 6-8 weeks
    if you have been on maintenance treatment, taper more gradually: e.g. reduce the dose by not more than ¼ every 4-6 weeks.
    Stay in touch with your doctor
    Be prepared to stop the reduction or increase your dose again if needed
    Keep a diary of your symptoms and drug doses.

Mirt & Ven are both in that article.

Mirt is supposed to be an appetite stimulator too. Pulisa mentioned they prescribe it to cats & dogs for that very reason! I would have thought you would be raiding the cupboards though.

Hanshan is on Mirt and he has managed to get his weight down loads, so it is possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information