Thread: Sunburn = Cancer?

Sunburn = Cancer?

Throughout my whole life I can only remember three times I've been badly sunburned, once so bad that it blistered and now freckles remain on my shoulders..

Just googled (silly me!) and now I'm terrified. Constantly having panic attacks and I can't get it from my mind. Does freckled mean, skin cancer?

All of these are my symtoms, many of them don't add up and I've had them for years.

Diarrhea (after I eat mainly) This has been happening for years

Headaches (last year or so)

New freckles after sunburn

struggling to breath (beginning of panic attack I think... but cannot be sure)

Change of mood (irritable, sad, depressed)

tingling in shoulders, hands and feet
    Last edited by Wishitaway; 21-07-16 at 23:00. Reason: missed out symtoms

Re: Sunburn = Cancer?

It takes an awful lot of sunburns and over exposure to even get to the point of high risk. With the exception of freckles (which are an extremely common thing) all those symptoms are anxiety related and are no indication of cancer.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The older we get, the more spots on our skin we get. It's all very normal.

I mean sure, if you spot something that looks suspicious, get it checked, it's very easy to treat in early stages but freckles and new small spots and discolorations are very normal.

I spent many of my young years laying in the sun. Rubbing baby oil on my skin for that deep unprotected tan.

In my middle years, I tanned (summers only) in a tanning bed.

A few years ago a black spot appeared on the top of my hand. I was freaked out, starting looking at everyone's hands to see if anyone had moles, freckles or any spots on the top of their hands.

I was at work one day, my coworker came from behind me, put her finger right on the black spot on my hand and said "that was not there, you need to get it checked out" I felt like a lightning bolt hit me.
    I called the dermatologist, they were booked, I was panicked. Asked to be put on a waiting list. Thankfully I got called in quick.
    The dr looked and looked... asked me if I had every had skin cancer. I told her no.

She numbed my hand, cut it off, she said I'm not too worried about it.. but we'll see what the path report says.

Home I went to agonize for the next 2 weeks.

In the end.. it was benign.

It's crazy how freaked out this stuff can make us.

I promised myself if I ever have anything that bothers me in the slightest, I'm in there.

I hope you will consider getting in to have a skin check so you can have peace of mind.
    Last edited by NancyW; 22-07-16 at 02:28.

How old are you? And have you spent the last 40 years working in the sun everyday without sunscreen?

N.

I get a new freckle at least every week! Used to hate them but learned to love them. My husband and I even have some matching freckles!

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    How old are you? And have you spent the last 40 years working in the sun everyday without sunscreen?

N.
    Yep, my dad worked outdoors up to 7 days a week, 10 hours a day some weeks with no sun protection for over 30 years. He did end up with a form of skin cancer but several years after he retired and it was on him for a couple of years before he even saw a GP about it.

The consultant had a look and booked an appointment to remove it. Job done, >5 years and no issues. The consultant said it was a very common form of skin cancer and had very high rates of treatment success.

Thread Information