Thread: Same old, same old (holiday)

Same old, same old (holiday)

I promised myself that I wasn't going to post like this; all wound up, anxious, and looking for reassurance. We've booked a short holiday - two nights in Norfolk, from tomorrow. Our last two holidays have been total failures: in 2013 my Dad was rushed to hospital the night before, which triggered a big period of panic that I haven't really shaken off ever since, and last year it got to the morning we were due to go and I just couldn't go through with it. Our last 'successful' holiday was in 2011, but even then I had a panic attack through the whole of the first night. So here I am, today, trying to take my husband's advice not to think about it, but plotting madly how I might get out of it. It's 2.5 hour drive - further than I've been for years, and I just don't know if I can do it :(

Re: Same old, same old (holiday)

Hi , I'm on holiday now it's been up and down the hot weather realy took it out on me and my dogs have played up every night so haven't had a good nights sleep but then I don't at home either , I can understand you being nervous about going but if you don't go you won't know it could be great and if you don't go you will just beat yourself up more about avoiding it , were 2 1/2 hours from home so it nothing realy to go home early if it turns out bad you don't have to stay , if you don't go can you look after my dogs and I'll take the holiday Norfolk isn't to far from where I am , just go get some fish and chips and ice cream , take care .

Re: Same old, same old (holiday)

Hello,

I think you're being very hard on yourself. I'd suggest that the way you're feeling is quite normal, and posting about it is a good thing, not a bad thing. You've had horrible experiences in the past, so you're going to feel pretty rough. And as always, the panic about panic sets in. 2.5 hours is a long drive in thought, but not so much in real life. If you get there and it all goes horribly wrong, you can be back home in a short space of time.

Would an audiobook in the car help? It could give you something to focus on.

I've schemed and planned to try to get out of holidays, but each time I go, it's never as bad as I thought and I'm always so pleased I pushed myself.

I have, on the other hand, cancelled holidays (once a huge trip around India) because I just couldn't face it. Either way is fine and you'll make the right choice.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

Thread Information