Thread: Weird stuff when I'm going to bed

Weird stuff when I'm going to bed

Small thing triggering my panic;

Is it normal to have vivid images/scenarios when you're falling asleep, closing your eyes to go to bed, etc? Please help, it's kinda freaking me out

Re: Weird stuff when I'm going to bed

There are lots of known phenomena in the Hypnagogia (falling asleep and within the first 2 hours of sleep) and Hynopompia (waking) stages of sleep. These can include even things like hallucinations of auditory, visual or olfactory varieties. You can have a strong sense of an activity from earlier e.g. feeling sand on your feet if you were of the beach which is called Tetris Effect.

There are many and the Wiki page on this explains how diverse they are and the fact everyone has them. They are not connected to anxiety but anxiety is known to increase them.

I'm unsure what you mean so it may not be that and may just be a very overactive mind. I've had it loads and it's something that can stop you falling asleep as you can't seem to stop it for a while.

Re: Weird stuff when I'm going to bed

I would say yes. A short while ago I was dozing off in bed, then I saw my parter walking towards the bed and thinking he was going to shock me I said 'I'm not asleep'. A millisecond later I heard him laughing downstairs. I've also experienced sleep paralysis a few times which is hideous, but normal.

Thread Information