Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA medical was cut short - bad sign?

ESA medical was cut short - bad sign?

I went for my ESA medical yesterday for OCD, panic disorder, BDD, depression and my bowel problems.

I was an absolute state. I couldn't look up from the floor, was shaking like a leaf, went through about 10 tissues, ran to the toilet because of my bowel 4 times in 10 times and I cried hysterically and that was just in the waiting room!

In the interview, my mum came in with me and I was in the same state as I was in the waiting room and the doc spoke a lot to her because I couldn't string a sentence together and then he looked at my file, psychiatric letters etc and saw that I have/had self harm and had suicidal thoughts and then he left the room to speak to his superior or something and came back a few mins later and said they could stop the interview and they had enough evidence and they were so sorry I had to go through this. I was literally only in the interview room for about 10 mins so now I'm panicking that I messed up the interview due to my nerves and bowel and I wont get paid as I have read that the medicals should be about 30/45 mins.

How long does it take roughly to hear a decision back from ESA? I don't really know much about ESA and I'm new to it. Do they notify you by text or call or is it just letter?

Thanks

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: ESA medical was cut short - bad sign?

First of all, I would like to say well done for going and you did well to turn up. When the info said expect up to 45 mins for Interview, that is just a guide line. Interviews can be less than that and Claiments still have a good outcome. They probably thought they'd seen and done enough to make a decision about your claim, so don't worry.
    Are you receiving any money, whilst you are waiting for the outcome?
    I can't remember how long I had to wait, but I know I received a letter and the ESA was awarded. Hope you get awarded ESA.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rt01se36 View Post
    First of all, I would like to say well done for going and you did well to turn up. When the info said expect up to 45 mins for Interview, that is just a guide line. Interviews can be less than that and Claiments still have a good outcome. They probably thought they'd seen and done enough to make a decision about your claim, so don't worry.
    Are you receiving any money, whilst you are waiting for the outcome?
    I can't remember how long I had to wait, but I know I received a letter and the ESA was awarded. Hope you get awarded ESA.
    Thank you

I am due to be paid on Monday, just the assessment rate ESA so I should still get that unless they decide I'm not entitled to ESA. Its a worry but I'm glad the medical is done at least. Just got to worry about the PIP one next month now!

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Hi ginger fish

My esa assessment was cut short too, because I was very distressed due to agoraphobia.
    The nurse said I had enough 'evidence'.
    GP and CPN Letters, actual meds, etc.

My GP and cpn told them I would need a home visit, but they refused 3times.
    (My GP (locum) told me if I could make it to my local surgery to see her - 5mins away...could make it to the assessment centre, 45mins away!!)
    They eventually offered me a taxi, but I couldn't do it.
    Incase I panicked on the journey and needed to go back home
    In case I vomited or fainted in the taxi with a stranger driving
    Incase the driver wouldn't wait for me
    Or incase I was so distressed I couldn't hail a taxi home.

The nurse went out of the room to confer with the 'doctor", then came back in and told me not to worry I would continue to get benefit. I was so distressed at the time. I didn't know what she meant.

I got a letter confirming my award to ESA support group on the day my new ESA benefit was also paid into my account. About 4 weeks.

I didn't know about PIP till 3 months later, and you cannot back date claims for pip.

Anyway, they telephoned me one Saturday morning to do the assessment by phone?

And I was awarded pip 2weeks later.

Remember, you can appeal each stage if you are refused

Good luck

PS let us know how it goes x

Quote Originally Posted by dally View Post
    Hi ginger fish

My esa assessment was cut short too, because I was very distressed due to agoraphobia.
    The nurse said I had enough 'evidence'.
    GP and CPN Letters, actual meds, etc.

My GP and cpn told them I would need a home visit, but they refused 3times.
    (My GP (locum) told me if I could make it to my local surgery to see her - 5mins away...could make it to the assessment centre, 45mins away!!)
    They eventually offered me a taxi, but I couldn't do it.
    Incase I panicked on the journey and needed to go back home
    In case I vomited or fainted in the taxi with a stranger driving
    Incase the driver wouldn't wait for me
    Or incase I was so distressed I couldn't hail a taxi home.

The nurse went out of the room to confer with the 'doctor", then came back in and told me not to worry I would continue to get benefit. I was so distressed at the time. I didn't know what she meant.

I got a letter confirming my award to ESA support group on the day my new ESA benefit was also paid into my account. About 4 weeks.

I didn't know about PIP till 3 months later, and you cannot back date claims for pip.

Anyway, they telephoned me one Saturday morning to do the assessment by phone?

And I was awarded pip 2weeks later.

Remember, you can appeal each stage if you are refused

Good luck

PS let us know how it goes x
    I was refused a home visit despite my GP recommending to the DWP that I should. I think its because the assessment centre is a two min walk from my house so the thought I could manage it.

When the assessment doctor came back from talking to his superior or whoever it was, he didn't say anything about me not having to worry. He just told me I might not have to sit another medical for a year or so. So hopefully that means I'll be put in the support group.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you guys updated

Dr Claire Weekes.

I thought I would update you guys

I got a letter yesterday saying I have been placed into the support group and I got some money backdated. That is such a huge relief! I also had my PIP medical yesterday. It went as well as it could have and I'll keep you updated.

I was wondering if you guys could help me so you know I got accepted into the SG yesterday and got arrears backdated. I got my assessment rate payment on its usual day which was 8 days ago and I get paid fortnightly so would be due another payment in 6 days time. Will I still get that payment or will it I paid be on from a fortnight since the arrears money came in? Just thought I'd ask on here because I couldn't face calling up DWP today ask.

Dr Claire Weekes.

Hi you will get your new ESA(SG) paid on the same date as your ESA assessment rate, just the new higher amount.
    Your PIP payment will be paid on a separate date.

If you can face doing it, write down your full account of what happened: how you got there, who was with you, what time you went in, what time you came out, then write IN AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE everything you can recall that happened in the session. Include everything you can remember that the assessor said and did.

Whether or not you are able to do this, make sure your mum also writes everything down that she saw and observed IN AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE. Her statement could be vital at some point later down the line.

I've not heard of a medical assessment being cut short in this way - however if it was cut short, there are stories of medical assessors answering questions for the applicant, which means they basically make up whatever they want. I am sure they won't do this to you. Atos Healthcare were the company that seems to have been the most underhand (and I can tell you that from experience).

It's possible the DWP will simply find in your favour based on the health assessment stating "applicant was too ill to continue and was in evident, extreme distress", you'll be put in the support group and that will be that. In the unlikely event they find against you, you will need your statements to challenge the healthcare report, as it doesn't sound like the assessment could proceed in any depth and therefore they would have no realistic reason for declining your ESA.

Never, ever underestimate the vile B.S. that the DWP will pull. They are robbing from the weakest in society to fund their wars and pay for their knighthoods. This is why you need a written and detailed account from yourself (if possible) and from a witness (your mum - it is VITAL that the DWP are aware she attended and effectively had to speak for you).

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

if it's cut short because they say they have enough evidence, hopefully you should be okay! well done to you all for attending and dealing with the stress of it!

I have seen on disability advice forums that some people have been warned by the assessor that they will suspend the assessment and if that happens it's a problem because they won't pay the benefits until the assessment is done. Some people were "behaving badly" in the assessment (like getting angry or had social issues communicating or having a panic attack or whatever) but the assessor has warned that it will be suspended leading to failed assessment This does not sound like this though! They ended it in a positive way almost. Hopefully it's enough you need

I am on benefits but I had an assessment a couple of years had to have a home visit due to being agoraphobic the person doing the assessment was only here about 15 mins but we had arranged for a lady from the carers association to be here.

I did then get turned down but on appeal it got reinstated within 3 mins of the appeal once again the lady from the carers society went on my behalf as I was unable to travel there.

If you are already on benefits and someone is your carer the carers society are very good at getting you help especially filling in the forms etc as they don't want the carers having to deal with anymore stress than they do my hubby suffers enough with me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information