Thread: Back again - mouth/teeth pain this time!

Back again - mouth/teeth pain this time!

Well I have been pretty good since a major episode (worst ever) of HA from Oct - Jan. I still have had some flare ups of HA, but mainly it has been under control. But I have been (as have my family) well, so no real tests.

Now this...

Two days ago all was good. Suddenly I felt some pretty extreme pain in my mouth, where I got a dental crown in May. The crown has never fit exactly right, and I do have sensitivity there. But that had gotten better. This was an intense pain, radiating through my cheek, ears, to the back of my head.

I took some Tylenol, and it passed. Yesterday I woke up, it was ok. But after breakfast I felt it again, and every time I tried to drink my coffee I got this extreme sharp pain - only on the side with the crown.

I made an appt with the dentist - an emergency one with a new dentist - and assumed I would need a root canal.

The dentist poked, prodded, did their thing, and didn't see anything wrong - although they didn't do an xray. She did adjust the bite, and said the crown wasn't lined up perfectly, and I may grind my teeth at night causing the pain.

Today the pain is worse - again only when I drink or eat on that side. I made an appt with my own dentist - it is in 2 days.

I am in the old HA trap of researching everything. I was even scared of salivary gland cancer. Although I don't think that would react to liquid just touching it. Just the touch of liquid sends shooting pains.
    I am scared because the dentist didn't find anything. I wish she did.

My wife saw that old familiar HA blank stare of doom this AM, after I locked myself in bathroom for 20 minutes to research.

Luckily I see my psychologist tomorrow. That was a set appt.

Re: Back again - mouth/teeth pain this time!

From my own experiences of dental pain, sensitivity to hot or cold could mean some tooth decay. I'm surprised the dentist didn't do an X-ray.

But it could also be due to exposed root which isn't anthing serious. My husband has it. He grinds his teeth. He uses a toothpaste for sensitive teeth and finds it helps.

But whatever it is it's not going to be anything serious. I know how you feel, I have HA too.

An X-ray will help. And get that toothpaste for sensitive teeth, see if it helps.

Thank you so much Becky!

You know how HA works. I research and research, and focus and focus. It makes it all worse. I even wonder if I am imaging the pain, although I know at times it is sharp and I am not! I just worry it is cancer or an infection that will spread to my brain and kill me.

Ah that's ok, just hope you feel better about it now.
    I really do understand as I do absolutely the same.
    We just can't seem to think rationally about our health issues which is why we come on here and ask others to do it for us!

Thread Information