Thread: Choking feeling in throat

Choking feeling in throat

Ive got health anxiety and anxiety in general, I suffer from many symptoms as a result of it but one of the main symptoms is this. I have briefly mentioned this in another post but not had any replies based on this specific symptom yet. When I am eating food a lot of the time it feels like it is getting stuck and that I am choking on it, I end up feeling the need to drink water after swallowing food sometimes as well. Sometimes that doesn't work and I am coughing food and some of the drink back up, it can take me up to an hour to eat a meal and its quite embarrassing and some people have pointed out to me that I take to long to eat but I really struggle sometimes. In addition to that, my throat can also feel dry and other times it may also feel like there is a lump in there. Does anyone else suffer from this? Do you know what it could be because I am starting to convince myself that there is something wrong with my throat.

Re: Choking feeling in throat

Yes I suffered from this for years. It's due to anxiety and you don't have anything wrong with your throat. In fact it seems a common problem with anxiety sufferers.

I got quite bad at one stage and could only drink blended meals. To this day I still can't eat meat, thinking it'll get stuck in my throat.

I know it's all in my mind but the more I focus on it, the more I imagine my throat closing up and I have a fear of choking.

But please rest assured that you have nothing physically wrong with your throat.

Thread Information