Thread: Random words pop into my head?

Random words pop into my head?

This is a weird question I suppose but me and my friends were talking about this but do any of you have random words pop into your head? Like just random sentences and words just pop into my head and they don't bother me and it doesn't seem Obsessive but from what I've been told is that's a component of OCD. I'm just a bit curious honestly lol.

Re: Random words pop into my head?

Its probably OCD. I remember the one time when I had a concrete example to doubt my thoughts. I was walking down the porch to my grandparents house, and suddenly in my mind which was popping and buzzing "north korea" pops into my head. Why it did I have no idea and now i just see it as comical. Maybe I was somehow thinking about it.

Re: Random words pop into my head?

They are called "Mind Pops" and are relatively new in research, but accepted.

Just like intrusive thoughts, they are not exclusive to any anxiety disorder because they are experienced by all people. Intrusive thoughts can get categorised into OCD as themes but given these are so new to the pros, they probably haven't researched this angle.

There is an interesting article by one of the pros on this if you Google it.

Basically it's being triggered by something you are not realising but your subconscious is seeing it and trying to relate something from memory to it.

It's not OCD, but I bet that anxiety has the potential to increase it because our minds can race. Also, we tend to start noticing our thoughts far more, especially if we've started noticed the intrusive ones. And you have those concerns over more serious mental illness, so this could easily be starting as one of your "what ifs".

---------- Post added at 06:09 ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 ----------

This was the article:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mind-pops/

Just be aware that they do talk about schizophrenia in here. There may some additional issues for them but I'm concerned you may see that and be triggered by it - so remember everything else you know about why you have anxiety, not anything like that.

Thread Information