Thread: Depressed/anxious about the state of the planet :(

Depressed/anxious about the state of the planet :(

Does anyone else get like this? I keep getting so depressed about what is happening to our beautiful planet, all the species that are lost and becoming extinct and man's terrible impact on natural ecosystems.

My latest thing to worry about is palm oil. It is everywhere. 2 years ago I stopped eating Kelloggs cereal due to the palm oil that's in it. But now, I head over to the supermarket for lunch and it takes so long finding something that doesn't contain bloody palm oil. Sandwiches, wraps, everything I'd normally eat is full of the stuff. I usually end up having a salad or making stuff at home and bringing it in. And that's just the food, I'm trying to move to more environmentally safe detergents and beauty products but it's everywhere. And so many people don't know about palm oil, and its impact on wildlife such as orangutans. I hate humans sometimes.

One of the reasons I'm not intending on having kids is because of the impact on the environment. I am already here but I'm not intending on reproducing and adding to the burden on the already overpopulated planet.

Then there's the seemingly endless stream of bad news about shootings, political unrest, people being murdered for no reason, the UK under Brexit, the US possibly under Trump and it makes me want to take a rocket to the moon, or some other planet because this one is just going crazy.

I see all this sad stuff on my FB newsfeed, and it just fills me with despair. I picture a horrible future where there are no rain forests and humans are the only species left, destroying what is left of the Earth. I have a pretty good handle on my depression these days (in relationship with a man I love, feeling good about myself in general) but this is just upsetting me so much.

Re: Depressed/anxious about the state of the planet :(

I undertstand this to some degree as I have to avoid socialmedia and news when my anxiety and low mood is overwhelming as otherwise I worry about global stuff I can not fix.

Its a bit like worrying in the USA that every single person shares $60000 of national debt thats in $trillions. Only Governments can deal with some of these things with pressure from their populations, some stuff you just can't afford to worry about when you have serious mental health challenges

I hate seeing about the Syrian and African deaths that are happening, makes me so sad but I can't then keep it in any perspective !!!! Sooo I try and avoid which i guess I thne feel a little bit guilty about.

Yeah I get really stressed out by news. I avoid it a lot. If you're going to look at bad news maybe make a point of looking for good news too? That's just as important.

And I don't understand why anyone would use palm oil to make a product at the moment. Groups like greenpeace are getting more traction and support now though

Things always feel politically worse now, like maybe times weren't always like this, but they have been worse before and we recovered.
    There have been terrible presidents in the USA before and terrible things have happened in England, we develop we progress, we keep going.

Yeah the news isn't always great when your depressed.

Possibly your worry about things that are by and large out of your hands is more a symptom of your anxiety. The world has always had problems and always will. As someone said here social media 24/7 has only given us the ability to focus on world problems more than ever. Not to mention there is a lot of fear mongering going on too. Everyone needs to take a "news break" once in awhile. Give it a try.

N.

I agree, it's great to keep up with the world, but a new break is a good idea when you are depressed.

I couldn't agree more. I'd go as far as to say that the state of the planet is one of the main reasons I feel depressed and/or anxious. We're bombarded with horrible, doomy facts constantly serving as a reminder of how '****ed' or '****ed up' we are. Some news articles make you feel like tragedy is imminent and things won't get any better. It's hard, but we do have to remind ourselves that while some things get worse, other things get better and we are fortunate enough to live in relatively politically stable countries. (Don't get me started on Trump though . . .)
    If it makes you feel any better some positive facts I have learned recently are that since 1990, the Northern hemisphere now has MORE trees, the rates of deforestation in Brazil have decreased dramatically since the mid 00s (still occuring but there's progress) and whilst the population in many 3rd world countries will continue to increase for some time, the population has stabilised in most MEDCs. According to the documentary I watched, we have reached 'peak child' and so a final population of 11 billion is expected after which little increase or decrease should occur. Renewable energy's share in the overall energy mix continues to rise.

There's hope. I know it's almost impossible to see it or feel it, but it's there. And you're not the only person to want to change towards an environmentally friendly lifestyle. People like us set precedent for others to follow (which they will). Be proud of yourself.

I feel really bad if i watch the news.
    I feel equally bad/guilty if I avoid it as I then feel that Im sticking my head in the sand.

I think anxiety is quite unforgiving in that respect.

Thread Information