Thread: Help - alcohol overindulgence

Help - alcohol overindulgence

Hi

I'm brand new as you can see. I suffered from anxiety/depression for years. I had psychotherapy, improved, went to uni, got a job etc. and felt fine with the help of Seroxat.

I went on holiday to Spain two weeks ago to see close friends and family. Three days before I was due to come home, my 'old' symptoms returned out of the blue and with a vengeance. I was a quivering wreck by the time I came home, I couldn't even hold my cup.

I am wondering if this is happened to anyone else and specifically if a severe overindulgence in alcohol (every night, whilst continuing to take the Seroxat) could have been the cause. I'm terrified of going back to work on Monday and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Hi bee, have you always drank heavy or is it just while out at Spain seeing friends? Well I have suffered with anxiety and phobias most of my life, it seems to come for a few years then leave for a few years. I started drinking heavy at 15 to kill the fear of going out and have drank pretty heavy and daily since, also always drank with meds and even though you shouldn’t I didn’t feel any different. I drank daily for 40 years and am not sure if this is why I haven’t fully recovered (trying to cope with the anxiety without alcohol and not use crutches). Any way I stopped drink and most meds last November which made me really ill for a good few months, but seem to be getting better days recently. Well if it’s a heavy drinking session you have had just for a few weeks while on holidays, yes I think this will upset the nervous system for a while, specially when u stop again, I have experienced this in the past. But repeated bouts of anxiety I found common to. This sounds a bit mixed up but hope its some help take care Vernon

Hi Bee

Alcohol can really aggrevate panic attacks - a lot of people on here will tell you that!

Try to think of it as a one-off and that you over-indulged so that caused the panic.

I am sure that you will be fine going back to work.

Get some relaxation done over the weekend and do some stretches to relieve any tension.

Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the site and forum by the way!

Nicola

Thank you very much, will know in future to keep well away from alcohol!

Yes alcohol over use is often the cause of peoples first panic attack or the trigger for a good blip.

You can drink on SSRI's but not in big amounts suddenly.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Hi Amy

Welcome to the forum - good to see you here!

Nicola

hi bee1 i sympathise with you i also turn to alcohol.ive had a blip if thats the right word for breakdown.gone through hell i thought i would never touch the stuff again.especially when told not to have it with the tablets im on .but yet i still drink cos its my crutch too.who cares when you feel this bad !! its easy for people to say dont drink the stuff but its not as easy as that to stop.grrrrrrrrrrrrrr im so mad with all this mixed up feelings sorry but im crying now got to go

dove x x

Thread Information