Thread: HIV or other STD scare :(

Unhappy HIV or other STD scare :(

Hi this might be long but I'm just looking for some advice or reassurance, and before you judge me just please read what I have to say.

I'm 18 year old female from Canada, I have not been sexually active for very long and I know I have severe anxiety and am a big hypochondriac. With in the past 6 months I have had unprotected sex 3 times with 3 people (induced by alcohol and none of them finished inside me or in my mouth) one was a guy who's virginity I took so I'm not worried about having gotten anything from him but the other two guys are ones that I do not know that well and I do not know how many other girls they have been with.

The past week I have been sick with a very mild cold, runny nose, no sore throat, kinda achy muscles and no other symptoms, but I took to google which is never a good thing and my anxiety and worrying is at an all time high. I'm so worried that I may have contracted HIV which I am absolutely petrified of. I feel pretty alone in this and have nobody to talk to so I just would like to hear what the chances that I have this are. I'm not afraid to get tested I'm going in tomorrow to have a rapid test, I would rather know then not know so I can have it treated. But also with my anxiety I can't stop thinking about what may happen in the future I'm so sacred I'll never end up being able to get married or have kids, I'm afraid of dying young and missing out on so many things. Please just give me some advice or comforting words.

Also I don't want to go get the test alone tomorrow or I will end up having a panic attack waiting for the results, my mom knows I've had sex but how can I ask her to come with me to this?

Ps I have not had any symptoms of rash, fever, or anything else just a mild cold, I want to believe that I will be okay but I can't help thinking what if

Re: HIV or other STD scare :(

usually a mild cold symptoms are just that a mild cold, in relation to the test don't worry so much speak to the doctor about you concerns and just carry some condoms with you at all times as this is still the best way of avoiding a bunch of std's and also the associated worry.

Exclamation Re: HIV or other STD scare :(

So @andysa should I be concerned about my exposure?

Re: HIV or other STD scare :(

Bottom line any unprotected sex is going to carry and increased risk, that I am afraid is just life. Being a lot older than you I remember when the Aids epidemic first struck and the amount of fear that it caused, I like you had a few encounters which were not safe and I like you worried myself sick - in fact it literally was what sent me on the Health Anxiety Journey i am now on. This all said HIV is not the same death sentence it once was but just save yourself all the grief and worry and just carry condoms plane and simple -- no glove no love. Another thing which might give you some relief is that Canada has a very low incidence rate of HIV.

Thread Information