Thread: CALM – Campaign Against Living Miserably

CALM – Campaign Against Living Miserably

A colleague at work lost her husband to suicide and has mentioned the charity CALM – Campaign Against Living Miserably. They offer men support and information when they're down or in crisis at www.thecalmzone.net. They exist to prevent suicide, the single biggest killer of men aged under 45 in the UK.

I thought it was worth sharing this resource here.

www.thecalmzone.net

Re: CALM – Campaign Against Living Miserably

We have a high rate of men taking there own lives over here,a lot of farmers have taken their lives,due to drought and prices of cattle being low and no feed for them,bloody terrible.We have The Men's Shed over here I know a few men go there to talk and meet fellow men in the same situation.Also with the closure and layoffs of men in the coal mining industry,suicide is high but that does not get much attention in the news.

From what I have heard, middle-aged men have the highest rates of suicide out of most demographics of people. It's a silent epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by flipp View Post
    We have a high rate of men taking there own lives over here,a lot of farmers have taken their lives,due to drought and prices of cattle being low and no feed for them,bloody terrible.We have The Men's Shed over here I know a few men go there to talk and meet fellow men in the same situation.Also with the closure and layoffs of men in the coal mining industry,suicide is high but that does not get much attention in the news.
    We have a similar situation with our farmers over here. My county has a yearly agricultural show in June, and the Samaritans has a tent there now;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritans_(charity)

It's very sad. Anyway, CALM sounds like an excellent organisation, so thanks to the OP for posting the link.

Thread Information