Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back again....

Back again....

Ok so my stomach has been playing up for the last 4 weeks now I would say, irregular BM's and niggling abdominal pains that come and go....my partner has been suffering with the same although he has been vomiting a few times and water like BM (I have just had loose ones and then difficult ones)

We went to the Dr Friday and he thinks we have a bacterial gut infection but I do not believe him as gut infection only causes water BM & not constipation on and off), stool samples were sent yesterday.

I am just freaking out of what they might find i.e. blood....first sign of........colon cancer!!!!

I am very scared, could this just be IBS even though have never been like this before in terms of BM's!

Re: Back again....

If you have a history of IBS, it can be triggered by an infection. So it's possible both you and your partner have the same infection, but your IBS is now playing up, hence the on and off constipation thing you have been experiencing.
    It's most unlikely that both you AND your partner have colon cancer. You can't catch it.
    Don't be scared. You'll get the test results back and if there is an infection your doctor will treat you both.

No history of IBS per se (not that I can recall anyway), however if they find no infection with me but with my partner does, I guess that would warrant further investigation for myself....

It is so annoying waiting for results.....

I guess anxiety could cause bouts of alternating habits too?

I think it definitely can! Last week I was really bad with the HA, I was in a horrible state non-stop for a few days thinking I was gonna die. I think that also changed my bowel habits, leading to more paranoia about bowel cancer.
    I've in the meanwhile managed to calm down a bit, after seeing a doctor and everything's gone back to normal. I think anxiety itself can really affect your bowels!

Also do not worry so much about blood - it can be a number of other things. My dog had an infection and there was lots of blood but fully treatable. If this happens with dogs why wouldn't it with humans?

You can develop IBS anytime in your life all of a sudden . Anxiety can make it worse . If the doctor thought that you were dying he would put you at the hospital . I have IBS too it's very frustrating , but it can get better through diet and lifestyle changes. and the most common cause of blood in stool is actually hemmroids.

I hate waiting for results its like my life is hanging on a thread! Wish I could overcome this awful anxiety of something being dreadfully wrong (which could still be the case).....NEVER ENDING STORY except mine does not involve a nice white big fluffy dragon it just involves no sleep, nail biting, on edge, off food, scared to go to the loo.....

Hi all

Results say normal no further action, does that mean that no blood was found even when the dr just order a bacterial microscopy sensitive tests? Does anyone know?

Freaking out...

Hi all

Still have the BM problems, more frequent and noticed now that they are narrower......worst thing is I jumped on the scales last night and have lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks....this is cancer..........I am so scared!

Re: Freaking out...

Kay Just to let you know that I will merge this post with your previous one. This is nothing personal.

Elen

Kay, I think most of the weight loss due to cancer is because you lose your appetite and eat less. Also, according to the Internet it's not necessarily common with bowel cancer.

It could well be the anxiety that's causing you not to eat - when I get very panicky I also get very nauseous and can't eat at all. Maybe watch your diet for a few days (eat more stomach-friendly foods!) and also try to take a break from all the worrying, because all this anxiety won't be helping you get better!

Also, since this bowel issue is bothering you, ask your doctor to have a repeat blood stool test. Or speak with your doctor again and see what more can be done. The first test came normal so that should be encouraging - they use the blood in stool test as screening for colon cancer too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information