Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Phantom smells

Re: Anxiety and gagging episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    The thing is, and I'm guilty of this as well, we're allowing it to happen. As Elen stated, there is an "ignore" function accessible from the users profile page. It effectively hides a member's posts. However, it doesn't hide you from the member you're blocking and you can still choose to read a response. While it's not perfect, it still is effective and would be useful if these or any threads/members are causing you frustration or additional anxiety.

Due to the OP's behavior, she has invoked a rather visceral response here and elsewhere and the same suggestion was made on another site as well.

As much as we may want to help, one must also know when enough is enough and move on.

Positive thoughts
    At this point I'm more concerned about the impact the OP is having on other people. If she posts a load of questions about symptoms and those posts are ignored, it can give the impression that she's on to something.

On a board that is, for the most part, viewed by people who are or have in the past suffered their own issues with health anxiety, that's quite dangerous.

Re: Phantom smells

I appreciate all the help you offer me. I do.

Right now I worry I'm lightheaded (had afternoon coffee, caffeine does this to me) and I worry my eyes are playing up. They're not. It's slight glare my window/light above me. I had eyes tested recently and fold they're healthy (slightest long sighted but not enough for glasses)

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Just has a whiff of the scent I worry about. Literally a whiff. 0. Of a sexond

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    I appreciate all the help you offer me. I do.

Right now I worry I'm lightheaded (had afternoon coffee, caffeine does this to me) and I worry my eyes are playing up. They're not. It's slight glare my window/light above me. I had eyes tested recently and fold they're healthy (slightest long sighted but not enough for glasses)
    So why, for the love of all that is holy, are you worried? You do this all the time. Throw down a symptom, offer a perfectly rational explanation of said symptom, then just say you're worried anyway. If coffee makes you lightheaded, don't drink it. If you've had an eye test that said your eyes were fine, then they're fine.

It really is that simple.

I worry I do have phantom smells despite there being a source most of the time. I just had a whiff of the scent, like literally whiff. And can smell cigarette smoke but the guys by me smoke and we have window open. I am just worried

I think at this point, we have our suspicions. Step back, let admin deal with it if they want to. Let's stop this now.

Anything we say... anything at all (even saying this!) , just feeds the beast here. As I stated earlier, when the OP stops getting responses in one forum, she moves to the other. Might be best in this case to starve it don't you think?

And I'm out!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Would they hang around one area or would that be a person. I'm trying to whiff people near me and I *think* it's a chap I sit by but it's that uncertainty that's keeping me panicked. I've not smelt it all weekend unless I walked past a builders site (few times)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Anything we say... anything at all (even saying this!) , just feeds the beast here. As I stated earlier, when the OP stops getting responses in one forum, she moves to the other. Might be best in this case to starve it don't you think?

And I'm out!

Positive thoughts
    I'm coming with you Fishman... bye bye Helen/Reb, I wish you well.

Your going around smelling people, Lord mother of Jesus if someone was sniffing me I think I would punch them, tell you what Helen,reb00 what ever, I'm gonna go walk into my neighbours house that I haven't been in for a few days she had cats and there litter tray stinks I haven't smelt it in a few days I'm gonna then go there smell the cat little and go omg I have a phantom smell I could smell cat poo and pee, but it's ok I went outside I can't smell it now but wait.... Was it a phantom smell

Recovering from my conditions and looking to the future.
    I am not very active but do try to reply to mails.

Cigarette smoke is a phantom smell though.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread Information