Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Phantom smells

Re: Phantom smells

Without saying it directly, i am extremely suspicious about this.

This is not normal, this person is 25 years old, an adult? It's actually starting to wind me up. I know the answer is to not post/read...but we are all very sensitive here and therefore all the attention this person is dominating is taking away from other people that are suffering genuine problems.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Would they hang around one area or would that be a person. I'm trying to whiff people near me and I *think* it's a chap I sit by but it's that uncertainty that's keeping me panicked. I've not smelt it all weekend unless I walked past a builders site (few times)
    I wish you well Reb. I hope you find the answer to your problem - whatever it really is.

So is a lot of things apparent phantom smells?? I'm going to stop saying anything else on this matter after this your immature, clearly acting dumb, attention seeking and not willing to accept anyhelp or you are playing the joker and taking the absolute pee out of all of us. But as I have said before you are a very selfish individual after both me and mojo have expressed our rage and hurt at the posts you are making when we have first hand experience of brain tumours and exactly what they were like with these real brain tumours and not something you have made up in your head

Recovering from my conditions and looking to the future.
    I am not very active but do try to reply to mails.

Enough everyone.

If you do not wish to add something constructive to the thread it would be best if you refrained from posting.

Ok, this is my last post on this matter.

Helen, a "phantom smell" is an illusion. It's known in medicine as an olfactory hallucination, as the problem arises from rogue electrical signals firing from the olfactory region of the brain. The olfactory region of the brain processes smells, if the misfiring happens in that region, it will trick your brain into thinking that there is a smell there when there actually isn't. These are generally a form of epileptic seizure.

These smells are often described as very overpowering and very very typical, meaning you will smell the exact same smell over and over. The smells will last from 30 seconds up to 5 minutes.

What you describe in no way sounds like any type of olfactory hallucination. What you describe is nothing more than a smell. I have told you this already, but as ever, you paid zero attention.

I will no longer be responding to you, I hope this final post is an answer.

Please stop messing with people on this site. There are good people here who have spent a lot of their time hurting and suffering, that they now want to devote time into helping others trough the same thing is nothing short of a miracle.

You, on the other hand, are playing a game. You know it, I know it, and by the looks of the responses you're beginning to receive, the vast majority of people know it.

Goodbye.

This will be my last post on this thread also. We all have our own experiences and our own opinions.

What I will say though, is that no two individuals are alike. As we are all on a website named 'No More Panic' I think it's reasonable to say we have all been affected by anxiety one way or another. That's why I simply can't understand some of the comments on this thread. I'm not defending any individual, but we all respond to lifes stressors differently.

I don't get why people are complaining about these threads potentially triggering others, aren't most of the posts in the HA section potential triggers? At my peak a lot of posts triggered me, if somebody had tests for a 'symptom' I had previously had I often wondered why I hadn't had those tests. However that was my problem, not the posters.

Some of you lot have had some dreadful experiences, but I wish you'd also try to understand that often with mental health issues come lack of self control etc and lack of thought for others. Some people truly can't help themselves. Helenhoo has apologised for offending somebody.

As for calling the poster immature, some of the posts are no better.

Helenhoo, echoing others I wish you all the best. As for everybody else, I've no ill meaning in my posts and likewise wish you all the best too.

I'd also like to add that I don't disagree with all that others have said but saying things such as "taking away from other people that are suffering genuine problems" is also offensive. Mental health illness is a genuine problem. I should know I've dealt with it for over 8 years now. It affects every tiny part of my life.

Cigarette smell and the paint? Last a few seconds typically. If I walk off its not there, if I come back it is. I am genuinely scared I have thisz

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Is it possible that the guys I sit with give off the Stench of cigarette?

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:12 ----------

Please someone understand my fear. Online articles say phantom smells are a sign of s tumor. Today I've smelt cigarette smoke in a train station and in office (guys at work *do* smoke) I'm try to grasp logic without pissing people off.

All,

Ok, I haven't had the time to read through the full thread but it's clearly not helping anyone. I'm going to close it, review it later and if I think it's ok, I'll reinstate it.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread Information