Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Phantom smells

Re: Phantom smells

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    What a load of absolute nonsense.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I see your frustrations I do. I worry I'm actually insane and need locking up but I have the attitude of 'yes let's beat this anxiety' and then all of a sudden there's the smell again. Could I be making it up? I have had sinus issues in the past. I just don't want to pass the tiniest chance this could be a brain tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    I see your frustrations I do. I worry I'm actually insane and need locking up but I have the attitude of 'yes let's beat this anxiety' and then all of a sudden there's the smell again. Could I be making it up? I have had sinus issues in the past. I just don't want to pass the tiniest chance this could be a brain tumour.
    It's great you have acknowledged the frustration in this. Perhaps think twice before posting various symptoms?

Anxiety can cause all sorts. You've said most of the time you can confirm someone else can smell the smell too. At the moment you are so focused on smells you are probably making them appear. It's like the old situation of being told not to think of a polar bear and then you can't get it out of your head.

I get songs stuck in my head over and over again even when I haven't heard them for years and the more I focus on it the worse it gets.

You do not have a brain tumour!

I don't know about permission but Reb's mum knows her better than any of us so perhaps we need to consider why her mum may have done that? Reb's mum may have been told this visit is all about these brain tumour worries and to be honest, looking at the evidence presented by Reb for a brain tumour, any responsible parent would tell you not to waste a doctors valuable time. Her mum may not see or understand the level of anxiety involved to encourage her to go for that reason or she may have even thought the visit will just be taken up with the symptoms (which happened before, and in several visits to a nurse).

I seem to recall Reb's or aunty knowing a bit about anxiety so I would encourage Reb to speak to that party. Maybe they can go with you to see the GP?

If you are afraid of seeing the GP, you won't be alone on here. The majority of HAers on here seem to be chasing doctors but a minority are afraid of what the doctors will say and avoid seeing them. If you are like this, get some support off a family member to go with you. It will also keep you to going as it will be harder to put off with a real person than us lot on here.

Don't worry about age. When my anxiety first started I saw my GP the week after. He advised to take time off. Whizz forward 6 months and I had a full breakdown (as they used to call it) and I couldn't face seeing my GP. My dad had to go with me, and for about 5-6 follow ups, and I was 30! When I relapsed the same happened.

There's no shame in needing some support.

---------- Post added at 07:39 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GadGirl View Post
    Hi terry, sorry just seen this message about troll comments I do apologise, ok now you have answered that (even though on the other forum you said your mum wouldn't let you) what are you going to do in a foreign country where health care is very very different .
    No worries, I was sure you hadn't seen it. It's led to arguments in the past so wanted to make you aware so you don't end up in that.

If you really do think you have a brain tumour you need to have tests before you board a plane

Every single person has said that i am insane and it's all in my head but I read articles on forums and someone called sixpack confirmed her dad had phantom smells and these were seizures so please see where I'm coming from.

I don't think these are seizures as I'm just me still I don't feel any different apart from the **** sake there's that smell, here's that anxiety feeling.

Today my one nostril feels clogged too- related?

I also have slight tension headache but I can link to anxiety

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

I'm heading to walk in. Would I look mad if I mentioned brain tumour fear?

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Every single person has said that i am insane and it's all in my head but I read articles on forums and someone called sixpack confirmed her dad had phantom smells and these were seizures so please see where I'm coming from.

I don't think these are seizures as I'm just me still I don't feel any different apart from the **** sake there's that smell, here's that anxiety feeling.

Today my one nostril feels clogged too- related?

I also have slight tension headache but I can link to anxiety

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

I'm heading to walk in. Would I look mad if I mentioned brain tumour fear?
    Isn't that why you're going to the walk in? Or is it about the blocked nostril and slight headache?

Hopefully your mum doesn't stop you or your sister remembers to book it or a magic Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't lay siege to the surgery before you get there.

Does anyone remember all the stuff by Admin about not getting upset and moving on? Just a tip.

You're not insane, Reb. None of us are on here, we wouldn't be on here if we because you wouldn't know.

Are you planning on talking to a GP about your anxiety? Seeing them about the context of the anxiety will just be more reassurance. By all means tell them the fears BUT don't allow them to start marching down the path of tests because they will simply side-line your anxiety issues and waste time & money to achieve nothing.

She wasn't worried. Said it was highly highly unlikely and the furthest away reason. But said I should still see a gp to rule anything out. So mixed feelings really.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information